DESPERATE NEED OF HELP ON THIS Physics PROBLEM

In summary, the problem involves an unmarked police car and a speeder traveling at different speeds. The police car accelerates after being passed by the speeder and the question asks how much time elapses until the police car catches up to the speeder. The solution involves setting up equations for the distance traveled by each object and then using the quadratic formula to solve for the time when the two objects meet. It is important to follow the guidelines of not giving out the answer and instead providing suggestions and hints to help the original poster learn.
everlasting_truth
DESPERATE NEED OF HELP ON THIS Physics PROBLEM!

Okay for those who are really smart in Physics, please help! I've been staring at this problem for hours and I just can't figure it out. :uhh: I know that you need to find the final velocity and then time, but it just seems like there's not enough information. Well here's the problem:

An unmarked police car, traveling a constant 90 km/h, is passed by a speeder traveling 140 km/h. Precisely 1.00s after the speeder passes, the policeman steps on the accelerator. If the police car's acceleration is 2.00 m/s2, how much time elapses after the police car is passed until it over takes the speeder (assumed moving at constant speed)?

I don't need the answer or anything, I just need to know where to start off 'cause I'm totally stuck. If you figure it out please email, message, or even IM me on MSN at pesstimisticgurl23@yahoo.com.Thank you so much!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Write an equation for the distance between the two cars. Start with the one second delay -- how far does that put the speeder ahead of the cop at the instant that the cop car begins its acceleration? And in that second phase (cop car accelerating), what is the equation for the relative distance between the two cars?

First, change km/h to m/s for convenience.
Then set up the equation x = Vit + (1/2)at^2 for each object:

Police car:
x + 13.889 = 25t + t^2 ------> x = 25t + t^2 - 13.889

Speeder:
x = 38.889t

Now, make x of police car and x of speeder equal each other and you get:
25t + t^2 - 13.889 = 38.889t ------> t^2 - 13.889t - 13.889

Solve for time by using the quadratic formula. This is the instance that the two objects meet each other.

Once you do the calculation, you get 14.8 second as an answer.

Last edited:
ysk1, We are not supposed to give out the answers to problems here in the Homework Forums. That is part of the guidelines that you agreed to in order to get into these HW forums. Our job is to give suggestions, hints and other tips to help the original poster (OP) to figure out the problem on their own. There is very little value to the OP to just post the answer. They need to figure out most of it on their own in order to learn. Please do not post the answer in any other threads in the Homework Forums.

1. What is the problem that needs help in physics?

The problem that needs help in physics is a specific question, equation, or concept that an individual is struggling with and needs assistance in understanding or solving.

2. How do I know if I am in desperate need of help on a physics problem?

If you have been struggling with a physics problem for an extended period of time and have not been able to make progress or understand the concept, it may be a sign that you are in desperate need of help.

3. Where can I get help for a physics problem?

There are various resources available for getting help with a physics problem. You can seek help from your teacher, a tutor, or online resources such as forums or study groups.

4. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, it is important to take a step back and try approaching the problem from a different angle. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor who can provide guidance and clarification.

5. How can I improve my understanding of physics to avoid needing help on problems?

To improve your understanding of physics and avoid needing help on problems, it is important to attend classes regularly, actively participate in class discussions, and practice solving problems on your own. You can also seek help from teachers or tutors when needed.