Problem solving with forces and friction.

• Thread starter Thoven
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Homework
In summary: You'll need to use the formula F=ma to work out the acceleration of the box, then use the formula v=u+at to work out the final velocity. Finally, use the formula s=ut+1/2at^2 to work out the distance travelled. In summary, for question 1, you need to resolve forces and calculate the additional force needed to counteract friction. For question 2, you need to use formulas to calculate acceleration, velocity, and distance travelled. And for question 3, you need to use the given information to calculate the coefficient of kinetic friction. It may also be helpful to review any class notes or textbook references on friction to better understand the concepts involved.
Thoven
1.The coefficient of static friction between the m = 2.90 kg crate and the 35.0° incline of Figure P4.41 is 0.340. What minimum force vector F must be applied to the crate perpendicular to the incline to prevent the crate from sliding down the incline?

2.A box of books weighing 250 N is shoved across the floor of an apartment by a force of 360 N exerted downward at an angle of 34.9° below the horizontal. If the coefficient of kinetic friction between box and floor is 0.57, how long does it take to move the box 3.80 m, starting from rest?

3.Objects with masses m1 = 8.0 kg and m2 = 4.00 kg are connected by a light string that passes over a frictionless pulley as in Figure P4.30. If, when the system starts from rest, m2 falls 1.00 m in 1.70 s, determine the coefficient of kinetic friction between m1 and the table.

Desperately need help don't have a clue what to do.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm afraid you need to attempt these yourself before you can receive help. I can't believe you have no clue what to do. Do you have class notes or a book reference from which to read about friction?

OK I looked and I managed to figure out the third one but I just can seems to figure out how to start 1 and 2 give me something to just start I don't want the answer that won't help me.

Basically for the first one you'll have to resolve the forces on the box, work out the friction and then see how much more force is required to make the friction equal the force resolved parallel to the plane.

Question 2 is similar and is mainly about resolving forces.

1. Why is it important to complete homework on time?

Completing homework on time is important because it allows you to practice and reinforce the skills and concepts learned in class. It also helps you stay organized and on top of your workload, which can improve your overall academic performance.

2. How can I manage my time better to avoid feeling desperate with homework?

One way to manage your time better is to create a schedule or to-do list that includes specific times for completing homework. You can also break up larger assignments into smaller, manageable chunks and prioritize tasks based on their due dates.

3. What should I do if I am struggling with a particular homework assignment?

If you are struggling with a specific homework assignment, it is important to reach out for help. This can include asking your teacher for clarification or seeking assistance from a tutor or classmate. It is also helpful to review any notes or materials related to the assignment.

4. Is it okay to ask for an extension on a homework assignment?

It is always best to complete assignments on time, but if you are facing extenuating circumstances that prevent you from doing so, it is okay to ask for an extension. Be sure to communicate with your teacher as soon as possible and provide a valid reason for the request.

5. How can I stay motivated to complete my homework?

To stay motivated, it can be helpful to set achievable goals and reward yourself for completing them. You can also try studying with a friend or in a group, as this can provide accountability and make the task more enjoyable. It is also important to remember the long-term benefits of completing homework, such as improved understanding and grades.