Destructive Interference problem

In summary, the problem is asking for the height of an airplane above a receiver, given that waves from a radio station are arriving at the receiver by two paths. One is a direct path, and the other is from reflection off the airplane. The direct distance from station to home is 18.7 km, while the airplane is approximately 137 m above the receiver. Destructive interference occurs, with no phase change on reflection. Using the formula ∆L=(lamda/2) and considering the frequency with v=lamda/f, the problem can be solved by applying the small angle approximation and using Pythagoras. The answer should be in units of m, with a 1% error.
jhoffma4
The problem states:

Waves broadcast by a 1152 kHz radio sta-
tion arrive at a home receiver by two paths.
One is a direct path, and the second is from
re°ection o® an airplane directly above the re-
ceiver. The airplane is approximately 137 m
above the receiver, and the direct distance
from station to home is 18:7 km.
What is the height (within 1% error) of the
airplane if destructive interference occurrs?
Assume no phase change on reflection.
Answer in units of m.

First of all I am kind of confused as to where the receiver is...on the house or the radio station. I was thinking it should be on the house, but 137 meters seems very low for an airplane to be flying above a house.

What I know/tried:
I know that since it's destructive interference, it is out of phase, so we use ∆L=(lamda/2). and we can find L1 and L2 with the values given, but I have no idea how to include frequency...maybe using v=lamda/f? I tried applying the small angle approximation (where sinө~tanө), but the trigonometry is really confusing and I wasn't having much success. Could someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi jhoffma4! :smile:
jhoffma4 said:
First of all I am kind of confused as to where the receiver is...on the house or the radio station. I was thinking it should be on the house, but 137 meters seems very low for an airplane to be flying above a house.

It doesn't matter, does it? :wink:
… but I have no idea how to include frequency...maybe using v=lamda/f? I tried applying the small angle approximation (where sinө~tanө), but the trigonometry is really confusing and I wasn't having much success. Could someone help?

Yes, v=lamda/f should do fine.

And just use Pythagoras. :smile:

I understand the problem and the concept of destructive interference. In this scenario, the waves from the radio station are arriving at the receiver through two different paths - one direct and one reflected from an airplane flying overhead. The height of the airplane is unknown and we are trying to find it using the fact that destructive interference is occurring.

To solve this problem, we can use the formula for destructive interference, which is ΔL = λ/2. In this case, we have two different lengths - one for the direct path and one for the reflected path. We can calculate these lengths using the given values of 18.7 km for the direct distance and 137 m for the height of the airplane.

We also know that the frequency of the radio waves is 1152 kHz, which we can convert to meters by using the formula v = λf. This gives us a wavelength of approximately 260 m.

Now, we can set up the following equation:

ΔL = L1 - L2 = λ/2

Substituting in the values we have, we get:

18.7 km + 137 m - L2 = 260 m/2

Solving for L2, we get:

L2 = 18.7 km + 137 m - 130 m = 18.7 km + 7 m = 18.707 km

Since we know that the height of the airplane is 137 m, we can now use the Pythagorean theorem to find the height (h) of the airplane above the receiver:

h^2 = (18.707 km)^2 - (18.7 km)^2

h = √((18.707 km)^2 - (18.7 km)^2) = √(0.007 km^2) = 0.083 km = 83 m

Therefore, the height of the airplane is approximately 83 meters above the receiver. This is within 1% error of the given value of 137 m, which shows that our calculations are accurate.

In summary, by using the formula for destructive interference and considering the wavelength and frequency of the radio waves, we were able to solve for the height of the airplane in this scenario.

1. What is destructive interference?

Destructive interference occurs when two waves with opposite amplitudes meet and cancel each other out, resulting in a decrease in the overall amplitude of the wave.

2. How does destructive interference affect sound waves?

When sound waves experience destructive interference, their amplitudes decrease, resulting in a quieter sound. This is commonly observed when two speakers playing the same sound are placed close together and the sound waves cancel each other out in certain areas.

3. Can destructive interference be used for practical purposes?

Yes, destructive interference can be used to cancel out unwanted or background noise. This is commonly seen in noise-canceling headphones, where an inverted sound wave is used to cancel out external noise.

4. What factors affect the degree of destructive interference?

The degree of destructive interference depends on the amplitude, frequency, and phase of the two waves. If these factors are not closely aligned, the interference may not be as significant.

5. Is destructive interference always a bad thing?

No, destructive interference can be beneficial in some cases. For example, in some musical instruments, destructive interference can create unique sounds and harmonics. Additionally, in certain situations, destructive interference can be used to improve the quality of signals in telecommunications.