Determine Altitude from Constant Speed and Acceleration of Satellite S

• Thread starter KillerZ
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Altitude
In summary: Thank you!In summary, the satellite S travels around the Earth in a circular path with a constant speed of 20 Mm/h. If the acceleration is 2.5m/s2, determine the altitude h. Assume the Earth's diameter to be 12 713 km.
KillerZ

Homework Statement

The satellite S travels around the Earth in a circular path with a constant speed of 20 Mm/h. If the acceleration is 2.5m/s2, determine the altitude h. Assume the Earth's diameter to be 12 713 km.

i5akx3.png

Homework Equations

[tex]a_{n}= \frac{v^{2}}{\rho}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that [tex]a_{t}= 0[/tex] because speed is constant and [tex]a_{n}= 20 Mm/h[/tex] and I just solved the above equation for [tex]\rho[/tex] but that came out to a negative number so that's not right.

Physics news on Phys.org
KillerZ said:

Homework Statement

The satellite S travels around the Earth in a circular path with a constant speed of 20 Mm/h. If the acceleration is 2.5m/s2, determine the altitude h. Assume the Earth's diameter to be 12 713 km.

i5akx3.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought that [tex]a_{t}= 0[/tex] because speed is constant and [tex]a_{n}= 20 Mm/h[/tex] and I just solved the above equation for [tex]\rho[/tex] but that came out to a negative number so that's not right.
Why are you using the tangential speed as the acceleration? The acceleration is, as you have stated, [itex]a = v^2/r[/itex]. But there is another expression for a as well, since the acceleration is provided by ...? Write the equation for that acceleration. With those two equations you should be able to solve for the two unknowns, a and r.

AM

Ops that was a typo. I meant [tex]a_{n}= 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]

KillerZ said:
Ops that was a typo. I meant [tex]a_{n}= 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]
Ok. I misread the question too. You are given the acceleration. What units must v have in your equation [itex]a_n = v^2/r[/itex]?

AM

v should be m/s I think. Which I calculated 20 Mm/h = 5555.556 m/s

KillerZ said:
v should be m/s I think. Which I calculated 20 Mm/h = 5555.556 m/s
So what is r? How is r related to h?

AM

I am assuming r would be to the center of the Earth and h is r - the Earth's radius.

Ok I think I got this:

[tex]v = 20 Mm/h = 5555.6 m/s[/tex]

[tex]a_{n} = 2.5 m/s^{2}[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \frac{v^{2}}{a_{n}}[/tex]

[tex]\rho= \frac{5555.6}{2.5} = 12345679.01 m[/tex]

[tex]h = \rho - Earth's radius = 12345679.01 - 6356500 = 5989179.01 = 5989.18 km[/tex]

that looks better now, I think you were getting a negative number because you were subtracting the diameter instead of the radius.

Ya that's what I was doing.

1. How can the altitude of a satellite be determined using its constant speed and acceleration?

The altitude of a satellite can be determined using the following formula: Altitude = (Acceleration x Time^2) / 2 + (Speed x Time). This formula takes into account the constant acceleration due to gravity and the initial speed of the satellite.

2. What is the relationship between the altitude of a satellite and its speed and acceleration?

The altitude of a satellite is directly proportional to its speed and acceleration. This means that as the speed and acceleration of the satellite increase, its altitude will also increase.

3. How does the altitude of a satellite change over time?

The altitude of a satellite changes over time due to the effects of gravity and atmospheric drag. As the satellite moves through space, it experiences a constant acceleration due to gravity which causes its altitude to change.

4. What factors can affect the accuracy of determining altitude from constant speed and acceleration?

Some factors that can affect the accuracy of determining altitude from constant speed and acceleration include atmospheric conditions, changes in the satellite's speed and acceleration, and external forces such as solar radiation or gravitational pulls from other objects in space.

5. Can the altitude of a satellite be determined accurately using only its constant speed and acceleration?

No, the altitude of a satellite cannot be determined accurately using only its constant speed and acceleration. Other factors such as atmospheric conditions and external forces must also be taken into account to accurately determine the altitude of a satellite.