Determine Ka1 and Ka2 of Diprotic Acid: Titration Problem

• Thread starter psycovic23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Titration
In summary, the student was tasked with determining the Ka1 and Ka2 values of an unknown diprotic acid, H2A, using a .1 M solution of the acid and .1 M NaOH for titration. The pH of the resulting solution was 6.7 after 25mL of NaOH was added and 8.00 after 50 mL was added. This information can be used to calculate the Ka values using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation and stoichiometry of the reaction.
psycovic23
"A student was given a .1 M solution of an unknown diprotic acid, H2A, and asked to determine the Ka1 and Ka2 values. The student titrated 50.0 mL of the .1 M H2A with .1 M NaOH. After 25mL of NaOH was added, the pH of the resulting solution was 6.7. After 50 mL of NaOH was added, the pH of the resulting solution was 8.00. What are the kalues of Ka1 and Ka2?"

I'm a bit lost with this problem. Are the volumes that are given mean it has reached the stoichiometric point? If so, I think I can figure that out just through equilibrium expressions, but I'm not entirely sure. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Good question. What does the titration curve look like? What are the other points which aid in graphing the curve? I believe the problem description author wants you to use pH 6.7 for the first end point and pH 8 for the second end point.

Also, this may seem too picky; but the author probably means 0.1 FORMAL diprotic acid (according to how the solution was prepared. The actual MOLARITY may be different due to hydrolysis).

Check stoichiometry of the reaction. Do you know what Henderson-Hasselbalch equation is? Do you know when pH of the solution equals pKa?

Related to Determine Ka1 and Ka2 of Diprotic Acid: Titration Problem

1. What is a diprotic acid?

A diprotic acid is an acid that has two ionizable hydrogen atoms in its chemical structure. This means that it can release two hydrogen ions (H+) when dissolved in water.

2. Why is it important to determine the Ka1 and Ka2 of a diprotic acid?

Knowing the Ka1 and Ka2 values of a diprotic acid allows us to understand its strength as an acid and how it will react in different solutions. This information is important in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and environmental science.

3. How do you determine the Ka1 and Ka2 values of a diprotic acid?

The Ka1 value can be determined through titration, where a known concentration of the diprotic acid is added to a solution of a strong base until the equivalence point is reached. The Ka2 value can be determined by repeating the titration process with a known concentration of the conjugate base of the diprotic acid.

4. What is the significance of the equivalence point in titration?

The equivalence point is the point at which the number of moles of the acid is equal to the number of moles of the base added. This signifies that the reaction is complete and allows us to calculate the concentration and Ka value of the acid.

5. Can the Ka1 and Ka2 values of a diprotic acid be predicted?

The Ka1 value of a diprotic acid can be estimated using the acid dissociation constant of its conjugate base. However, the Ka2 value is more difficult to predict and is typically determined experimentally through titration.