Determine magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the floor

In summary, the problem involves a 180 pound basketball player with a coefficient of friction of 0.7 between his right foot and the floor. With no acceleration or sliding, the task is to determine the magnitude and direction of the force exerted by his right foot on the floor. Using the equations ƩF=0 and Ffriction = (0.7)(Fn), the attempt at a solution involves finding the components of the equation and assuming Fn is equal to 180 pounds. However, the given information is not enough to solve the problem accurately. A picture of the situation reveals that the force exerted by his foot is equal and opposite to the vector sum of the normal force and the frictional force, which results
cdornz

Homework Statement

There is a 180 pound basketball player. The coefficient of friction between his right foot and the floor is 0.7. There is no acceleration or sliding in the problem. Determine the magnitude and direction of the force that his right foot is exerting on the floor.

Homework Equations

ƩF=0 (know what since acceleration is zero)
Ffriction = (0.7)(Fn) (I know Fn is perpendicular to the interface between the two surfaces and it is not equal to the weight of the object. This is what's stated in my physics book.)
Fright foot = -Fgravity - Fn - Ffriction

I would then use component forms of the equation, so one for "x" and one for "y"

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this isn't coming out correctly and I honestly have no idea why.

(for the x equation) (0.7)Fncos0 = Fright footx
(for the y equation) 800sin270 + Fnsin90 = Fright footy
-800 + Fn = Fright footy

I don't know where to go from here, because I'm pretty sure it's already wrong. Any help would be appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
What makes you think there are any horizontal forces involved?

I had assumed when I was given coefficient of friction, that that was involved then. Also if it isn't, the Fright footx would be zero and that doesn't make sense.

cdornz said:
I had assumed when I was given coefficient of friction, that that was involved then.
That's a dangerous assumption. Good examiners throw in irrelevant information to test for understanding rather than blindly plugging numbers into equations.
Also if it isn't, the Fright footx would be zero and that doesn't make sense.
Why not? Would the player be able to stand upright on ice without sliding? What forces would be involved then?

So I had the chance to re-evaluate this problem a little bit and tried solving it from
[itex]\Sigma[/itex]F=ma and I know that a=0

so I would have two equations (to get the two components) so one for sine and one for cosine. When I assume that Fn is 180 pounds as well this is what I get:

Fg + Fn + Fright footx = ma
180cos270° + 180cos90° + Fright footx = 0
0 + 0 + Fright footx = 0
Fright footx = 0

Fg + Fn + Fright footy = ma
180sin270° + 180sin90° + Fright footy = 0
-180 + 180 + Fright footy = 0
Fright footy = 0

But, when I don't assume Fn is 180 pounds, this is what I end up with:

Fg + Fn + Fright footx = ma
180cos270° + Fncos90° + Fright foodx = 0
0 + 0 + Fright footx = 0
Fright footx = 0

Fg + Fn + Fright footy = ma
180sin270° + Fnsin90° + Fright footy = 0
-180 +Fn + Fright footy = 0
Fn + Fright footy = 180

In either of these cases, something still doesn't seem right and I'm truly lost as to what component I'm missing.

Is there any more to this question that you have left out?
There doesn't seem to be enough information to solve it as it stands.

That was my thought, no there is nothing more to this problem as given. I guess it's possible he left stuff out, but it wouldn't explain how I could solve others in this section.

Attachments

• IMG_0220.jpg
    IMG_0220.jpg
    24.5 KB · Views: 596
The picture shows a 180 pound basketball player

The picture might help.

Here's the picture.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpg
    IMG_0221.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 342
OK, here's my analysis of the situation - I'm not sure if it's completely correct, (maybe someone else can check).

The force that his foot exerts on the floor is equal and opposite to the force that the floor exerts on his foot.
The former is the vector sum of the normal force and the frictional force ( which acts to the right in the picture ).
The normal force is equal to his weight (since there is no acceleration in the vertical direction), and the frictional force = 0.7 * his_weight.
Adding these 2 vectors gives a force of magnitude 220lb, acting at an angle of 55° to the horizontal.
So, the force exerted by his foot is equal and opposite to this.

ap123 said:
OK, here's my analysis of the situation - I'm not sure if it's completely correct, (maybe someone else can check).

The force that his foot exerts on the floor is equal and opposite to the force that the floor exerts on his foot.
The former is the vector sum of the normal force and the frictional force ( which acts to the right in the picture ).
The normal force is equal to his weight (since there is no acceleration in the vertical direction), and the frictional force = 0.7 * his_weight.
Adding these 2 vectors gives a force of magnitude 220lb, acting at an angle of 55° to the horizontal.
So, the force exerted by his foot is equal and opposite to this.

So the answer key shows this is the correct answer, but equation wise could you help me break it down?

So you are saying that the arrow (that would be drawn through his right leg) is the sum of the normal force and frictional force? So if normal force is 180 and frictional force is 126, how would that equal 220? I'm just trying to get as accurate of notes as possible so I know how to approach future questions like this.

Wait, nevermind, my bad. I forgot to apply Pythagorean theorem. Thanks for the help!

1. What is meant by "magnitude and direction" of a force?

The magnitude of a force refers to its strength or size, while the direction refers to the line of action in which the force is applied.

2. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of a force?

The magnitude of a force can be determined by measuring the amount of force using a force sensor or by calculating it using equations such as F=ma (force equals mass times acceleration). The direction of a force can be determined by using a compass or by analyzing the angle at which the force is applied.

3. Why is it important to determine the magnitude and direction of a force?

Understanding the magnitude and direction of a force is crucial in physics and engineering as it helps in predicting the motion and behavior of objects. It also allows for the calculation of other important quantities such as work, power, and momentum.

4. Can the magnitude and direction of a force change?

Yes, the magnitude and direction of a force can change depending on the changes in the object's mass, velocity, and the direction in which the force is applied. For example, if a person pushes a cart with different amounts of force or in different directions, the magnitude and direction of the force exerted on the cart will change.

5. How does the force exerted on the floor affect an object?

The force exerted on the floor by an object can affect its motion and stability. If the force is greater than the normal force exerted by the floor, the object may accelerate in the direction of the force. If the force is less than the normal force, the object may decelerate or remain at rest. The direction of the force can also cause the object to move in a specific direction or rotate around a pivot point.