Determine Mass of Penny: Millikan Experiment

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment done in class to determine the weight of a penny. The experiment involved stacking two paper cups with pennies and using a scale to measure the weight. The person suggests subtracting the smallest mass from the larger ones to determine the weight of a single penny. They also mention their teacher comparing the experiment to Millikan's Oil Drop experiment, which measured the force of ionized oil drops to determine the charge on an electron. They also provide a link for more information on the oil drop experiment.
braeden
First post on this forum so hoping it is in the right place. In class today we did an experiment where our teach took two paper cups, and placed X amount of pennies in one before stacking the other cup inside of it. We had 10 of these cup/penny contraptions each and a scale. The purpose of this experiment was to determine how much a penny weighted. What I did was first massed them all. I then though that if I subtract the smallest mass from all the larger ones I know the difference MUST be from an increase in amount of pennies. From this though I am not quite sure where to go, should I assume the smallest increase between two different masses is the mass of a penny? My teacher compared it Millikan's Oil Drop experiment not really sure what he did to calculate the charge on an electron and how it can be applied though.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can safely assume that the smallest difference you can find is an integer multiple of the penny weight. What Millikan did is measure the force that appeared when an oil drop was ionised by losing or gaining some electrons ( pennys ). This might be of use http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oil_drop_experiment

What is the Millikan Experiment?

The Millikan Experiment is an experiment conducted by Robert Millikan in 1909 to determine the charge of an electron.

Why is the mass of a penny determined using the Millikan Experiment?

The Millikan Experiment is used to determine the charge of an electron, which can then be used to calculate the mass of a single electron. Since a penny is made of many electrons, its mass can be determined by multiplying the mass of a single electron by the number of electrons in a penny.

How does the Millikan Experiment work?

The Millikan Experiment involves suspending tiny oil droplets in an electric field and measuring their terminal velocity. By balancing the forces of gravity and electric field on the droplet, the charge of the droplet can be determined. From this, the charge of a single electron can be calculated.

What are the limitations of the Millikan Experiment?

The Millikan Experiment assumes that all oil droplets have a single charge and that the charge of an electron is constant. However, this is not always the case and can lead to experimental error. Additionally, the experiment is very sensitive and requires careful calibration and measurements.

Why is the determination of the mass of a penny important?

Determining the mass of a penny using the Millikan Experiment is important as it helps validate the experiment and its results. It also provides a real-world application of the experiment and showcases its accuracy and precision.