Determine temperature profile in cylinder wall

In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving a heated cylinder with fluid flowing through the inside and temperature measurements at two points within the cylinder wall. The person conducting the experiment is unsure about the radial position of the temperature measurements and asks if there is a way to determine it. The conversation also touches on the complexities of heat absorption and distribution within the cylinder and suggests using a thermal resistance circuit to find the desired temperature difference. It is noted that the problem could be simplified if the conditions remained constant along the length of the cylinder or if the cylinder wall is thin enough. However, it is acknowledged that finding an analytical solution to the problem may be difficult.
monster_me
I am conducting an experiment where I have a cylinder heated from the outside and a fluid flowing through the inside. I know the heat flux into the cylinder and I know the temperature at two points within the cylinder wall. However, I am not confident on the radial position of the temperature measurements. Is there a way for me to determine the radial position of the two temperature measurements?

Engineering news on Phys.org
what kind of heat flux are we talking about? how long is the cylinder? how thick is the wall of the cylinder? how much flow inside the cylinder?

The thing is this...you may be able to input your heat uniformly onto the outside wall of the cylinder, not just around, but lengthwise. BUT, you may not end up absorbing the heat uniformly in the inside, because the fluid is heating up as it flows...and so, the heat going into the cylinder does not just travel straight radially to the inside wall, instead, it travels a bit along the length of the cylinder...this is a bit of a 3D problem...

If conditions did not change along the length of the cylinder, then, it would be a simple 2D problem, and you could easily find the answer you are looking for.

Then again, if the wall of the cylinder is relatively thin, maybe you could assume that the axial distance the heat travels is negligible and treat it as a 2D problem.

Simply simulate a thermal resistance circuit put the heat flux thru and figure your temperature difference to match what you need. Remember that the thermal resistance through the wall of the cylinder varies, you will need to integrate to calculate your dR's from the outside to the inside wall of the cylinder.

enough...I am afraid I might be making things more confusing than anything else.

Even with all of that it is a relatively simple 3-D problem, all things considered. You may even be able to get an analytical solution to it, though I certainly can't do it in my head.

1. How is the temperature profile in the cylinder wall determined?

The temperature profile in the cylinder wall is determined by conducting thermal analysis using mathematical equations and experimental data. This involves measuring the temperature at different points on the cylinder wall and using heat transfer principles to calculate the temperature distribution.

2. What factors affect the temperature profile in the cylinder wall?

The temperature profile in the cylinder wall is affected by several factors including the engine speed, fuel combustion rate, coolant flow rate, and material properties of the cylinder wall. These factors can alter the heat transfer rate and ultimately impact the temperature distribution in the wall.

3. Why is it important to determine the temperature profile in the cylinder wall?

Determining the temperature profile in the cylinder wall is crucial for ensuring the proper functioning and longevity of the engine. Excessive temperatures can lead to material deformation and failure, while insufficient temperatures can result in poor performance and increased emissions.

4. What methods are used to measure the temperature profile in the cylinder wall?

There are several methods used to measure the temperature profile in the cylinder wall, including thermocouples, infrared cameras, and thermal imaging techniques. These methods provide real-time temperature data at different points on the cylinder wall, allowing for accurate temperature profiles to be determined.

5. How can the temperature profile in the cylinder wall be optimized?

The temperature profile in the cylinder wall can be optimized by adjusting the aforementioned factors that affect it. This can include modifying the engine design, improving fuel combustion, and optimizing the cooling system. Conducting thorough thermal analysis and utilizing advanced materials can also help optimize the temperature profile in the cylinder wall.