Determine the actual depth of the shaft to the nearest metre

• Thread starter kingyof2thejring
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Depth Shaft
In summary, the girl estimates the depth of a mine-shaft by dropping a stone and measuring the time it takes to reach the bottom and the time it takes for the sound of the impact to travel back up. By setting up simultaneous equations and solving for the positive value of the quadratic equation, she finds the actual depth to be approximately 151 meters.
kingyof2thejring
Hi there again,

I am having problems answering this question

A girl wishes to estimate the depth d of a straight mine-shaft. She drops a stone vertically down the shaft and finds that there is an interval of 6 seconds between the instant she dropped the stone at the top of the shaft and the time that she heard the stone hit the bottom of the shaft.

(i) She decides to take a first estimate of d by assuming that the stone took 6 seconds to drop from top to bottom of the shaft. Calculate this estimate.

(ii) She then uses her first estimate together with the speed of sound, which is 332 m/s, to estimate the time taken for the stone to drop. Calculate this second estimate of d.

(iii) Determine the actual depth of the shaft to the nearest metre.

s=d
u=0
v=/
a=9.8
t=6

using the following equation
s=ut+1/2at^2
d=1/2 * 9.8 * 6^2
i get d=176.4m
but iam not sure if this is correct though

i am really stuck in this part of the question
here are some random ideas i have tried
t=d/s 176.4/332 = 0.53 s giving me the time taken for the sound to go up
6-0.53= 5.47 s time taken for the stone to drop
s=d
u=0
v=/
a=9.8
t=5.47s

s=ut+1/2at^2
d=1/2 * 9.8 * 5.47^2
d=146.6m

from here i don't know were to go with this question
Any suggestions/ideas will be much appeciated.
thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I understood from the question, you answers for the first two parts are correct.

For the third part, what are the variables you don't know? Try thinking of the problem as two separate events.

yep ur first two answers are correct.
as for the third part think of it this way the total time of the stone traveling down the shaft and the sound traveling back up is 6 seconds.
hope this helps.

Achtung said:
as for the third part think of it this way the total time of the stone traveling down the shaft and the sound traveling back up is 6 seconds.
Well put. :approve:

thx for sharing your ideas with me

so i should be thinking of two separate events in this problem.
i thought i had already considered the time of the stone down the shaft and the sound back up being 6 sec in part 2.

i need some more help in understanding what to do with the two separate events in calculating the actual depth.

thanks in advance

The stone travels d meters down the well in t1 seconds. The sound of the impact travels d meters in t2 seconds. Both events take 6 seconds to happen.

I hope that helps.

how do i set up simultaneous equations to solve d

t1+t2=6

When it falls down:
s=ut+0.5t2
d=4.9(t1)2

Can you do the same for the sound?

Last edited by a moderator:
s=ut + 1/2 a t^2
d=4.9(t1)^2
d=4.9(6-t2)^2

for the sound
-d=-4.9(t2)^2
d=4.9(6-t1)^2

think of it this way:-
let t1 be the time taken for the stone to drop.
let t2 be the time taken for the sound to travell back to the girl.
let d be the length of the mine shaft.

d = 4.9 (t1)^2 (stone falls)
==> t1 = sqrt(d) / sqrt (4.9) --(i)

d = 332 * t2 (sound travels)
==> t2 = d / 332 ---(ii)

t1 + t2 = 6 --(iii)

substitute (i) and (ii) in (iii) and solve for the positive value of the quadratic equation.
in doing so you are solving for sqrt(d) . Square this answer to obtain the value of d.
i got 150.7166298 which to the nearest metre is 151m

thx
bytheway
did you change
(i) + (ii) = 6 for the quadratic equation
in the form ax^2 + bx + c =0
before getting positive value

yea,
[sqrt (d) / sqrt (4.9) ] + [ d / 332 ] = 6
==>
[(sqrt(d))^2 * sqrt (4.9)] + [332 * sqrt(d)] - [1992 * sqrt (4.9)] = 0

here 'x' = sqrt(d)

ta
i can dig that

1. How do you determine the actual depth of the shaft?

The actual depth of the shaft can be determined by using a measuring device such as a tape measure or a laser rangefinder. The device should be placed at the top of the shaft and the measurement should be taken all the way to the bottom of the shaft.

2. What units should be used to measure the depth of the shaft?

The depth of the shaft should be measured in metres to ensure accuracy and consistency. Other units such as feet or centimetres can also be used, but they will need to be converted to metres for accurate data analysis.

3. How precise should the measurement of the depth be?

The depth of the shaft should be measured to the nearest metre to ensure a reasonable level of accuracy. However, if the shaft is particularly deep, it may be necessary to measure to the nearest half or quarter metre to obtain more precise data.

4. Are there any factors that could affect the accuracy of the measurement?

Yes, there are several factors that could affect the accuracy of the measurement. These include the type of measuring device used, the skill of the person taking the measurement, and any obstructions or irregularities in the shaft that could impact the measurement.

5. Why is it important to determine the actual depth of the shaft?

Determining the actual depth of the shaft is important for various reasons. It can provide crucial information for construction and engineering projects, mining operations, and geological studies. It can also help prevent accidents and ensure safety measures are in place for workers who will be working in or around the shaft.