How to Determine the Fourier Series for f(x)=cos3x

In summary, the homework equation for f(x) = cos3x is a0=0, an=integral(f(x)cos(nx)dx), and bn=integral(f(x)sin(nx)dx). However, when trying to integrate cos3x sin(nx), the student gets answers that are divided by (n-1) and (n-3), which means that when integrating, they need to reduce either cos3x or cos(nx). To avoid doing any integrals, they can use trig identities to expand cos3x.
lycraa

Homework Statement

determine the Fourier Series for f(x)=cos3x

Homework Equations

f(x)=ao/2+(sum) an cos(nx)+ (sum) bncos(nx)

ao= (integral) f(x)dx (from -[tex]\pi[/tex] to[tex]\pi[/tex])

an= (integral) f(x)cos(nx)dx (from -[tex]\pi[/tex] to[tex]\pi[/tex])

bn= (integral) f(x)sin(nx)dx (from -[tex]\pi[/tex] to[tex]\pi[/tex])

The Attempt at a Solution

i worked out that ao and an are both zero, which is fine. however when i go to work out bn i get answers that are divided by (n-1) and (n-3) which means that when i try and find b1 and b3 I'm dividing by zero. i don't know what to do now! can this function be made into a Fourier Series?

Physics news on Phys.org
have i done the integration wrong here?I feel liek i must have sense i don't really know how i would go about integrating cos3x sin(nx) OR cos3x cos(nx)

I don't see how you could get that "a0 and an" are 0. Since \(\displaystyle cos^3(x)sin(x)\) is an odd function, it immediately follows that the integral from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] is 0- that is that [itex]b_n= 0[/itex] for all n.

And, it is easy to show that [itex]a_0= 0[/itex] but
[tex]a_1= \int_{-\pi}^{\pi}cos^4(x)dx[/tex]

Since [itex]cos^2(x)= (1/2)(1+ cos(2x))[/itex], [itex]cos^4(x)= (1/4)(1+ cos(2x))^2=[/itex][itex] 1/4+ (1/2)cos(2x)+ (1/4)cos^2(2x))[/itex]
[itex]= 1/4+ (1/2)cos(2x)+ (1/4)(1+ cos(4x))=[/itex][itex] (3/4)+ (1/2)cos(2x)+ (1/4)cos(4x)[/itex]

Now, since the integral of cosine is sine and sine is 0 at any integer multiple of [itex]\pi[/itex], those two cosine integrals will be 0 but the integral of 3/4, from [itex]-\pi[/itex] to [itex]\pi[/itex] will be [itex]3\pi/2[/itex], not 0.

By the way, I think you are missing the normalzing factor of [itex]1/(2\pi)[/itex] in front of the integrals. [itex]a_1= (3\pi/2)(1/2\pi)= 3/4[/itex], no 0.

For higher order terms, to integrate3 [itex]cos^3(x)cos(nx)[/itex], with n> 1, you will need to reduce either [itex]cos^3(x)[/itex] or [itex]cos(nx)[/itex].

You can avoid doing any integrals by doing as HallsofIvy did for cos4 x and use trig identities to expand cos3 x.

What is the Fourier series?

The Fourier series is a mathematical tool used to represent a periodic function as a sum of sine and cosine functions. It allows for the decomposition of a complex function into simpler components that are easier to analyze and manipulate.

What is the purpose of determining the Fourier series?

The purpose of determining the Fourier series is to understand the behavior of a periodic function and to find its coefficients, which can provide insights into the function's properties and patterns.

How is the Fourier series calculated?

To calculate the Fourier series, the function is first decomposed into its individual components using the Fourier transform. Then, the Fourier coefficients are determined by integrating the function over one period and dividing by the period length.

What are some applications of the Fourier series?

The Fourier series has numerous applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and signal processing. It is used to analyze and manipulate periodic signals, image and sound processing, and solving differential equations, among others.

What are some limitations of the Fourier series?

The Fourier series has limitations in representing non-periodic functions and functions with discontinuities. It also has convergence issues for some functions, and its calculations can become computationally intensive for complex functions with many terms.