Determine the magnitude of force on a suspended object

In summary: I understand it now.In summary, to find the magnitude of the force needed to produce an angle of 65˚ when a 5.0 kg mass is suspended by a rope and a horizontally directed force F is applied, one can use trigonometry to solve for the tension in the rope and then use Pythagorean's theorem to find the horizontal component of the tension, resulting in a required force of 23N.
MadMcB

Homework Statement

A 5.0 kg mass is suspended by a rope. A horizontally directed force F is applied to the mass. What magnitude of force is needed to produce an angle of 65˚?

mass = 5kg
angle = 65˚

Homework Equations

F = mgsinx
T = rFsinx

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I tried using the first formula:
F = (5kg)(.8m/s^2)(sin65˚)
F = 44N

I'm not sure if this is correct though, I am worried I used the wrong formula, but since I don't know the length of the rope I can't use the formula for torque.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello MadMcB. Welcome to PF!

Your answer is not correct. Be careful with pulling formulas out of your notes unless you are sure they apply to your new problem. You can solve this problem without using any physics formulas, just a little trig.

When the object is being held at rest at 65o, how many forces act on the object? Draw a force diagram ("free-body diagram") and proceed from there.

You shouldn't use torque. You know the magnitude of the net force and it's vertical component.

(Although you calculated F incorrectly. Try drawing a diagram rather than using a formula, formulas don't always work because details may change)

With this, what can you solve for?

TSny said:
Hello MadMcB. Welcome to PF!

Your answer is not correct. Be careful with pulling formulas out of your notes unless you are sure they apply to your new problem. You can solve this problem without using any physics formulas, just a little trig.

When the object is being held at rest at 65o, how many forces act on the object? Draw a force diagram ("free-body diagram") and proceed from there.
Hi TSny! Thanks for the advice. I've drawn a diagram, and I know that the vertical component of the normal force on the object is 49N. How do I find the vertical component?

Brian T said:
You shouldn't use torque. You know the magnitude of the net force and it's vertical component.

(Although you calculated F incorrectly. Try drawing a diagram rather than using a formula, formulas don't always work because details may change)

With this, what can you solve for?
Thanks Brain. How do I know the net force? If I had the net force and the vertical component, I could solve for the horizontal component...

Could you perhaps attach an img of your diagram so we could see what you have?

Brian T said:
Can I insert an image as a file from my computer??

Brian T said:
here you go! Apologies- It is sideways

Attachments

• IMG_3813.JPG
    IMG_3813.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 624
Okay. Just one question: is it 65 degrees from the horizontal or from the perpendicular?

Once you figure that out (not sure if the problem makes it ambiguous), use trig to figure out the tension and then get the horizontal component from that

Brian T said:
Okay. Just one question: is it 65 degrees from the horizontal or from the perpendicular?

Once you figure that out (not sure if the problem makes it ambiguous), use trig to figure out the tension and then get the horizontal component from that
65˚ from the horizontal. So the tension is sin65˚ = o/h = 49/h. So h = 49/sin65 = 54.07 N

using pythagorean's theorem: x^2 + 49^2 = 54.07^2. So x^2 = 522.56, and x = 22.86 N

So, F = 23N. Is this correct?

MadMcB said:
65˚ from the horizontal. So the tension is sin65˚ = o/h = 49/h. So h = 49/sin65 = 54.07 N

using pythagorean's theorem: x^2 + 49^2 = 54.07^2. So x^2 = 522.56, and x = 22.86 N

So, F = 23N. Is this correct?

Yup looks good.

Brian T said:
Yup looks good.
Thanks for your help.

1. What is the definition of magnitude of force?

The magnitude of force is the measure of the strength or intensity of a force. It is represented by a numerical value and a unit of measurement, such as Newtons (N) in the International System of Units (SI).

2. How is the magnitude of force calculated?

The magnitude of force is calculated using the equation F=ma, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, and a is the acceleration. This equation is based on Newton's Second Law of Motion and can be used to determine the magnitude of force acting on a suspended object.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of force on a suspended object?

The magnitude of force on a suspended object is affected by several factors, including the mass of the object, the acceleration due to gravity, and the angle of suspension. Other factors such as air resistance, friction, and external forces may also influence the magnitude of force.

4. How is the magnitude of force different from the direction of force?

The magnitude of force and the direction of force are two separate components of a force. The magnitude refers to the strength of the force, while the direction refers to the path along which the force is acting. Both magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a force.

5. Can the magnitude of force on a suspended object change?

Yes, the magnitude of force on a suspended object can change depending on the factors affecting it. For example, if the mass of the object increases, the magnitude of force will also increase. Similarly, if the angle of suspension changes, the magnitude of force will also change. External forces acting on the object can also cause changes in the magnitude of force.