Determine the speed of the shuttle craft

• Thread starter fredrick08
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the conversation discusses the determination of the speed of a shuttle craft and a probe relative to Earth, given the speed of the shuttle craft relative to a spaceship and the speed of the probe relative to the shuttle craft. The formula for velocity addition is suggested to solve the problem.
fredrick08

Homework Statement

A spaceship moves away from the Earth at a speed v, and fires a shuttle craft in the forward direction at a speed v relative to the ship. The pilot of the shuttle craft forward launches a probe at a speed v relative to the shuttle craft. Detrmine:

a) the speed of the shuttle craft relative to Earth
b) the speed of the probe relative to Earth

The Attempt at a Solution

Im just completely confused with this question, do i have to use Lorentz transformations?? but if so, how do i compute an answer?? please can someone help, completely lost with this one.

Physics news on Phys.org
You can just use the velocity addition formula I suppose.
Apparently someone else is working on the exact same question in this thread.

ok for part a, i can use the LT to get u=2v/(1+v^2/c^2) but how do i do b.??

i can use u'=u from part a, but I am sure if this is what i have to do

I think you are making it harder for yourself than it actually is.

Just use simple velocity addition.

tyco05 said:
I think you are making it harder for yourself than it actually is.

Just use simple velocity addition.
And what do YOU mean by "simple velocity addition"? It looks to me like that is what he is trying to do!

Fredrick08, yes, you use the same formula again, this time with one of the velocities given by 2v/(1+v^2/c^2) and the other by v.

1. How is the speed of a shuttle craft determined?

The speed of a shuttle craft is determined by measuring the distance it travels over a certain period of time. This can be done using various methods such as radar, GPS, or by tracking the movement of objects on the ground.

2. What units are used to measure the speed of a shuttle craft?

The speed of a shuttle craft is typically measured in kilometers per hour (km/h) or miles per hour (mph). In scientific calculations, it may also be measured in meters per second (m/s) or feet per second (ft/s).

3. Can the speed of a shuttle craft change during flight?

Yes, the speed of a shuttle craft can change during flight. Factors such as wind speed, air resistance, and the shuttle's engine power can all affect its speed. In addition, the shuttle may also accelerate or decelerate depending on its flight path and mission objectives.

4. How accurate are speed measurements for a shuttle craft?

The accuracy of speed measurements for a shuttle craft depends on the method used to measure it. Radar and GPS are typically very accurate, with a margin of error of only a few kilometers per hour. However, other factors such as atmospheric conditions and human error can also affect the accuracy of speed measurements.

5. Can the speed of a shuttle craft be faster than the speed of light?

No, according to the theory of relativity, the speed of light is the maximum speed at which any object can travel. Therefore, the speed of a shuttle craft cannot exceed the speed of light, which is approximately 299,792,458 meters per second (m/s).