Determine the value of k using a line and plane

So the summary would be:In summary, the line x+2/-1 = y-3/2 = z-1/k and the plane 2x - 4y + z +11 = 0 intersect at a single point if k is any real number except 10, and there is no solution if k = 10. There is no value of k that would result in an infinite number of points of intersection.
Styx
Determine the value of k such that the line x+2/-1 = y-3/2 = z-1/k and the plane 2x - 4y + z +11 = 0 intersect at

a) a single point
b) an infinite number of points
no point

x = -2 - t
y = 3 + 2t
z = 1 + k

2(-2-t) -4(3+2t) + (1+k) +11 = 0
-4 - 2t - 12 -8t + 1 +k +11 = 0
10t - k = -4

For part a) I have concluded that k = and real number, k can not equal -10 or ...

For part c) I have concluded 10t - 10t = -4, 0t = -4
The planes do not intersect if k = -10

What I am having trouble with is part b). I have not sure how I would reach 0t = 0 which would put the line on the plane and therefore create infinite points of intersection

Physics news on Phys.org
Styx said:
Determine the value of k such that the line x+2/-1 = y-3/2 = z-1/k and the plane 2x - 4y + z +11 = 0 intersect at

a) a single point
b) an infinite number of points
no point

x = -2 - t
y = 3 + 2t
z = 1 + k
Well, you mean z= 1+ kt. I presume that was a typo.

2(-2-t) -4(3+2t) + (1+k) +11 = 0
-4 - 2t - 12 -8t + 1 +k +11 = 0
10t - k = -4
Well, apparently it wasn't! You should have 2(-2-t)- 4(3+ 2t)+ (1- kt)+ 11= 0 or (-2t- 8t- kt)+ (-4- 12+ 1+ 11)= (-10+k)t- 4= 0.

For part a) I have concluded that k = and real number, k can not equal -10 or ...

For part c) I have concluded 10t - 10t = -4, 0t = -4
The planes do not intersect if k = -10

What I am having trouble with is part b). I have not sure how I would reach 0t = 0 which would put the line on the plane and therefore create infinite points of intersection

There exist a single point of intersection if (-10+k)t= 4 has a unique solution: that is if -10+ k is not 0. That is, if k is not 10. (The equation you give "0t= -4" has no solution no matter what k is.)

There will be an infinite number of solutions if and only if the line is in the plane- that is, if x= -3-t, y= 3+2t, and z= 1+kt satisfies the equation of the plane for all t. Since putting that x, y, z into the equation of the plane reduces to (-10+ k)t= 4 which is NOT true for all t for any value of k (an equation of the form (-10+ k)t= 0 would be true for all t for k= 10) there is no value of k such that there is an infinite number of solutions.

If k= 10, then the equation reduces to 0*t= 4 which is never true and so there is no solution (the line is parallel to the plane).

Sorry, but I am still a bit fuzzy on parts a and b

I had by signs reversed so for part c, k = 10, not -10.

As far as I can see for part a) k can equal any real number except 10, and whatever the answer to part b) is.

Part b) appears to have no solution though...

Last edited:
Styx said:
Sorry, but I am still a bit fuzzy on parts a and b

I had by signs reversed so for part c, k = 10, not -10.

As far as I can see for part a) k can equal any real number except 10, and whatever the answer to part b) is.

Part b) appears to have no solution though...
I believe that was what I said in my first response:
"there is no value of k such that there is an infinite number of solutions."

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you.

1. How do you determine the value of k using a line and plane?

The value of k can be determined by finding the point of intersection between the line and the plane. This point will have coordinates (x,y,z) which can be substituted into the equation of the line and the equation of the plane. Then, solve for k in either equation.

2. What is the equation for a line in three-dimensional space?

The equation for a line in three-dimensional space is l(t) = (x0, y0, z0) + t(a, b, c), where (x0, y0, z0) is a point on the line and (a, b, c) is the direction vector of the line.

3. How do you determine the equation of a plane?

The equation of a plane can be determined by using three points that lie on the plane. First, find the normal vector of the plane by taking the cross product of two vectors formed by the three points. Then, substitute one of the points and the normal vector into the general equation of a plane: ax + by + cz = d. Solve for d to get the specific equation of the plane.

4. Can the value of k be negative?

Yes, the value of k can be negative. It depends on the specific line and plane in question and where they intersect. The value of k can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What does the value of k represent in this context?

The value of k represents the point of intersection between the line and the plane. It is the value of t in the equation for the line that corresponds to the point of intersection. It can also represent the distance between the point of intersection and the origin, depending on the specific problem.