1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the value of k using a line and plane

1. Apr 27, 2007 #1
    Determine the value of k such that the line x+2/-1 = y-3/2 = z-1/k and the plane 2x - 4y + z +11 = 0 intersect at

a) a single point
    b) an infinite number of points
    no point

x = -2 - t
    y = 3 + 2t
    z = 1 + k

2(-2-t) -4(3+2t) + (1+k) +11 = 0
    -4 - 2t - 12 -8t + 1 +k +11 = 0
    10t - k = -4

For part a) I have concluded that k = and real number, k can not equal -10 or ...

For part c) I have concluded 10t - 10t = -4, 0t = -4
    The planes do not intersect if k = -10

What I am having trouble with is part b). I have not sure how I would reach 0t = 0 which would put the line on the plane and therefore create infinite points of intersection

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2007 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, you mean z= 1+ kt. I presume that was a typo.

Well, apparently it wasn't! You should have 2(-2-t)- 4(3+ 2t)+ (1- kt)+ 11= 0 or (-2t- 8t- kt)+ (-4- 12+ 1+ 11)= (-10+k)t- 4= 0.

There exist a single point of intersection if (-10+k)t= 4 has a unique solution: that is if -10+ k is not 0. That is, if k is not 10. (The equation you give "0t= -4" has no solution no matter what k is.)

There will be an infinite number of solutions if and only if the line is in the plane- that is, if x= -3-t, y= 3+2t, and z= 1+kt satisfies the equation of the plane for all t. Since putting that x, y, z into the equation of the plane reduces to (-10+ k)t= 4 which is NOT true for all t for any value of k (an equation of the form (-10+ k)t= 0 would be true for all t for k= 10) there is no value of k such that there is an infinite number of solutions.

If k= 10, then the equation reduces to 0*t= 4 which is never true and so there is no solution (the line is parallel to the plane).

4. Apr 27, 2007 #3
    Sorry, but I am still a bit fuzzy on parts a and b

I had by signs reversed so for part c, k = 10, not -10.

As far as I can see for part a) k can equal any real number except 10, and whatever the answer to part b) is.

Part b) appears to have no solution though...

Last edited: Apr 27, 2007
  5. Apr 28, 2007 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

I believe that was what I said in my first response:
    "there is no value of k such that there is an infinite number of solutions."

6. Apr 28, 2007 #5
    Thanks. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?