Determining mass in scattering process

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the mass of an unknown atom by shooting an alpha particle at it in a nebula chamber and measuring the scattering angles. The participants suggest using conservation of 4-momentum and dealing with conservation of linear momentum, energy, and angular momentum. However, it is mentioned that knowing the scattering angles is not enough and more information is needed, as there are six unknowns but only four equations.
Pietjuh
Suppose you have an unknown atom and you shoot an alpha particle at it in a nebula chamber. Then you measure the scattering angles of the alpha particle and the atom. You see they scatter in perpendicular directions. The problem is now to determine the mass of the unknown atom.

The first thing to come to mind is to use conservation of 4-momentum.
So p + q = p' + q'. But I'm wondering if i can determine the mass of the atom alone on the information of the scattering angle. In every attempt I make I end up with an equation that contains the energies of the particles, but I don't know them, because they weren't given in the problem. Only the angles.

Can anyone give me a hint??

Physics news on Phys.org
Usually such a simple scattering problem (simple by discussing only the relativistic aspect and not the quantum one) involves dealing not only with conservation of linear momentum & energy, but also of angular momentum.

I don't think knowing the scattering angles is enough.

Daniel.

Here are your unknowns:

energy of incoming alpha particle (you know the mass of an alpha, so this also tells you the momentum);
mass of atom (which determines its energy before the collision; momentum is zero);
energy of scattered alpha (which also tells you the momentum);
energy of recoiling atom;
momentum of recoiling atom;
scattering angle of the alpha (which also tells you the recoil angle of the atom, via the given condition);

So that's six unknowns. But you have only four equations: conservation of energy, conservation of two momentum components (since the momenta all have to lie in the same plane), and the relation between mass, energy and momentum for the recoiling atom.

Therefore, you need more information.

1. What is the purpose of determining mass in a scattering process?

The purpose of determining mass in a scattering process is to understand the composition and structure of particles involved in the process. By measuring the mass of the particles, scientists can gain insight into their properties and behavior.

2. How is mass determined in a scattering process?

Mass is typically determined in a scattering process by measuring the momentum and energy of the scattered particles. This information can then be used to calculate the mass of the particles using the principles of conservation of momentum and energy.

3. Can mass be determined for all particles in a scattering process?

No, mass cannot be determined for all particles in a scattering process. Some particles, such as neutrinos, have very low mass and are difficult to detect and measure accurately.

4. How accurate is the mass determination in a scattering process?

The accuracy of mass determination in a scattering process depends on various factors such as the precision of the measurement instruments and the complexity of the scattering process. Generally, the accuracy can range from a few percent to a fraction of a percent.

5. What are the practical applications of determining mass in a scattering process?

Determining mass in a scattering process has many practical applications in fields such as particle physics, nuclear physics, and astrophysics. It can help scientists understand the fundamental building blocks of matter, study the behavior of particles in extreme environments, and probe the origins of the universe.