1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determining scale readings given different densities

1. May 17, 2009 #1
    Connected by a string to a scale is an object and when suspended in air, the scale reads 200 N. The scale reads 150 N when the object is suspended in water (d = 1000 kg/m^3). What does the scale read (in N) when the object is suspended in oil having a density of 800 kg/m^3?

I determined that the volume of the object was .015 m^3 from using the d=m/v formula in the H2O portion of the problem. I just substituted the volume into the oil density and determined that the mass was 12.24 kg. and then converted that to 120 N. Did I do this correctly?

2. jcsd
  3. May 17, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

I determined that the volume of the object was .015 m^3 from using the d=m/v formula in the H2O portion of the problem.

Loss of weight in liquid is equal to the weight of the displaced liquid.
    In the problem loss of weight in water is 50N. Then what is the volume of the object?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook