Determining Starting Height of Skier

• Thread starter Softshow
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Height
In summary, the problem involves a skier starting from rest at a height H on one side of a valley, and the question is to find the maximum value of H where the skier remains in contact with the ground when going down one side and up the other. The equations used are the minimum velocity at the top of the far side equation and the conservation of energy equation. The final solution is H = 6.0m.
Softshow

Homework Statement

A skier starts from rest at height H on the side of a valley. The other side of the valley rises to a rounded peak at 4.0m. Assuming the skier goes down one side of the valley and up the other, what is the maximum value of H for which the skier remains in contact with the ground at the peak of the far side?

Homework Equations

Minimum velocity at top of far side = √(yg)
1/2(mv^2)+mgy=mgH

The Attempt at a Solution

Vmintop = √(4.0m(9.8m/s^2))
Vmintop = √(39.2m^2/s^2)
Vmintop = 6.3m/s

1/2mv^2+mgy = mgH
1/2v^2+gy = gH
1/2(6.3m/s^2)^2+(9.8m/s^2)(4.0m) = 9.8m/s^2(H)
20m^2/s^2+39m^2/s^2=9.8m/s^2(H)
20m^2+39m^2 = 9.8m(H)
√(59m^2) = 9.8m(H)
7.7m = 9.8m(H)
H=0.79m

Not sure where I went wrong, may be as simple as an arithmetic error, but I can't find it for the life of me.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Check the third line from bottom, sqrt(59) - does this make sense?

Oh I see, because if I was to divide 7.7m by 9.8m i wouldn't be left with a unit. Instead, I suppose I should just divide 59m^2 by 9.8m, making H=6.0m?

1. How is the starting height of a skier determined?

The starting height of a skier is determined by the height of the ski slope or mountain they will be skiing on. This height is typically measured in feet or meters and can vary depending on the difficulty level of the slope.

2. Why is it important to determine the starting height of a skier?

Determining the starting height of a skier is important because it helps ensure their safety and enjoyment while skiing. Starting at the appropriate height can also help skiers improve their skills and technique.

3. What factors are considered when determining the starting height of a skier?

The main factors that are considered when determining the starting height of a skier are their skill level, the difficulty of the slope, and the type of skiing they will be doing (e.g. downhill, cross-country, etc.). Other factors such as weather and snow conditions may also be taken into account.

4. Can the starting height of a skier change during a ski session?

Yes, the starting height of a skier can change during a ski session. This may happen if the skier progresses to a higher difficulty level or wants to try a different type of skiing. It is important to always reassess the starting height to ensure the skier's safety.

5. How can technology assist in determining the starting height of a skier?

Technology, such as altimeters or GPS devices, can be used to accurately measure the starting height of a skier. These devices can also track the skier's progress and provide data for analysis and improvement. Additionally, virtual reality or simulation technology can be used to help determine the appropriate starting height for a skier based on their skill level and preferences.