Determining the direction of rotation of a wheel

In summary: This would allow me to measure the rotation of the wheel without having to use a flywheel or encoder wheel.In summary, the author is trying to design a system to determine the direction of rotation of a wheel. He has found a possible way of doing this, but it requires a S-R flip flop and a magnet. He is also thinking of using an optical mouse to measure the rotation of the wheel without the need for a flywheel or encoder wheel.
MattNew

Homework Statement

Hello All.
I am trying to design a system to determine the direction of rotation of a wheel.
I do not have access to a flywheel but only the wheels inner face.
Can anyone please recommend a sesnor or soultion to help me?
Many thanks

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have found a few hall effect sesnors with a quadrature output, which I should be able to use but unfortunatley they all seem to require like an encoder wheel or flywheel teeth. There are some ICs that do this but nothing that is roust enough for my application.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a possible way of doing this easily. I haven't tried it (I just thought of it), but it seems like it would work.

Make a S-R flip flop and put a LED on the Q output of it.

Glue a strong magnet to the wheel.

Have two Hall switches near each other and near the magnet when it passes. Only one Hall switch should turn on at a time.

Connect one Hall switch to the SET input and one to the RESET input of the S-R flipflop.

Whenever the magnet passes the SET Hall switch, the LED lights up. When it passes the RESET Hall switch, the light goes out.

Now, if you turn the wheel one way, the light will turn on and the wheel will rotate nearly all the way around before it goes out. If you turn it the other way, the light will come on briefly but only stay on for a short time until the magnet reaches the RESET Hall switch and this turns the LED off.
So, the lamp will be almost fully lit in one direction of the motor and almost fully off in the other direction.

Hello vk6kro, and many thanks for you reply!

You are right in what you are saying.
I am using a PIC on the back end of this so I think if i had the 2 quadrature outouts from the sensor then I can interpret them ok.
Its just that this sensor is primarily a speed sensor based on a flywheel, and I am not sure it will suit just having access to a metallic stud or magnet

Please see link for closest switch I could find
http://sensing.honeywell.com/index.cfm/ci_id/146644/la_id/1/document/1/re_id/0
BY using the lead/lag of these 2 waveforms I shoud be able to determine rotation.

I'm not sure how that would work. What would the sensor be sensing?

I had another idea. An optical mouse can tell if it is being moved up or down on a surface. So what if the surface was moving and the mouse was stationary?
The mouse would give outputs as if it was moving.

I understand the importance of accurate and reliable data in any experiment or design. In this case, determining the direction of rotation of a wheel is crucial for the proper functioning of your system. Based on your description, it seems that you have considered using hall effect sensors with quadrature output, but have encountered difficulties due to the lack of an encoder wheel or flywheel teeth.

In order to accurately determine the direction of rotation of a wheel without these components, I would suggest exploring alternative sensor options such as optical sensors or magnetic sensors. These types of sensors can detect the movement of the wheel's inner face without the need for additional components. Additionally, you may also want to consider using multiple sensors to increase the accuracy and reliability of your data.

Another approach could be to design a custom encoder wheel or flywheel teeth that can be attached to the wheel's inner face. This would allow you to use the hall effect sensors you have already identified. However, I understand that this may not be feasible for your application.

In any case, I would highly recommend thoroughly researching and testing any sensor or solution before implementing it in your design. This will help ensure that you are able to accurately determine the direction of rotation of the wheel and achieve the desired results in your project. Best of luck in your endeavors.

Related to Determining the direction of rotation of a wheel

1. How do you determine the direction of rotation of a wheel?

To determine the direction of rotation of a wheel, you can use the "right-hand rule". This involves pointing your right thumb in the direction of the wheel's axis of rotation, and curling your fingers towards the direction of rotation. Your fingers will then indicate the direction of rotation.

2. Can you determine the direction of rotation of a wheel without physically rotating it?

Yes, you can determine the direction of rotation of a wheel by looking at the direction of the spokes or tread pattern. If the spokes or tread pattern appear to be moving upwards, then the wheel is rotating counterclockwise. If they appear to be moving downwards, then the wheel is rotating clockwise.

3. Why is it important to determine the direction of rotation of a wheel?

Determining the direction of rotation of a wheel is important for various reasons. It can help with properly aligning and balancing the wheel, as well as determining the direction of force exerted by the wheel on other components. It can also aid in troubleshooting any potential issues with the wheel's movement.

4. Can the direction of rotation of a wheel change?

Yes, the direction of rotation of a wheel can change if the direction of force acting on it changes. For example, if a wheel is initially rotating clockwise and then a force is applied in the opposite direction, the wheel will start rotating counterclockwise.

5. Is it possible for a wheel to rotate in both directions simultaneously?

No, a wheel can only rotate in one direction at a time. However, if there are multiple wheels connected to each other, they may appear to rotate in opposite directions because of the way they are connected.