Determining the sign of Work in Electric Problems

In summary, the sign of work in electrostatic problems can be determined by considering the direction of movement and the force responsible for it. If the object moves in the same direction as the force, positive work is done. If the object moves in the opposite direction, negative work is done. This applies to both conservative forces, like gravity, and non-conservative forces. The confusion arises when considering the work done by the electric force, as it can be positive or negative depending on the direction of movement. Therefore, it is important to understand the direction of movement and the force involved in order to determine the sign of work accurately.
CaneAA
I am having a difficult time determining the sign of work in electrostatic problems. I'm attempting to reason out a general rule based on the given examples in my book and to relate it to work done by gravity--but I'm getting two contradictory observations. I don't know if maybe there are different rules depending on whether the force doing the work is conservative or non-conservative...

For example: Consider an electron moving toward a region of higher potential (+ side; lower potential energy) in an electric field. From what I understand, the work done by the electric force is POSITIVE.
If, however, the electron is being pulled toward the negative plate [there has to be an external non-conservative force doing this, right?], then the work done by the electric force, which is opposing this motion, is NEGATIVE.
So, it would appear that in determining the sign of the work done by an electric force [a conservative force, like gravity], if the particle is moving to a region of lower potential energy (ex. toward + plate), the electric work is positive. And vice versa.

So, this would be the same as the work done by gravity. If an object is dropped (moving to a region of lower potential energy) --> gravity does positive work. And vice versa.

But now, if you want to move an electron toward the negative plate (higher potential energy), you need to apply an external non-conservative force. But the work done by this force (in moving the electron to a region of higher potential energy) is POSITIVE.

So, I guess my main source of confusion is that for one type of force, moving the electron to a region of higher potential energy results in positive work, and for another type of force (i.e. electric force), moving the electron towards a region of higher potential energy, results in negative work.

So, ultimately, my question is: How do you determine the sign of the work done? Are there 2 rules for determining the sign of work depending on whether the force doing the work is conservative or non-conservative--or am I missing a simpler connection between the sign and work?

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
[tex] W = \int_P \vec F \cdot \vec {ds} [/tex]

In other words, the work done by a force is the dot product between the force vector and the displacement vector, over the path.

Put yourself into the mix. Suppose that you are the electric force pushing the electron. Or, conversely, suppose that you are some external force pushing the electron against the electrical force. Or substitute gravity into the above.

Does the object move in the same direction which you are pushing? If so, you are doing positive work. If the object moves in the opposite direction you are pushing, it means something is doing work on you! In that case, you are doing negative work. So, the work that you do is positive if you are the one succeeding in pushing in the object in the direction that you are pushing.

If work was easy, they wouldn't call it "work".

collinsmark said:
Does the object move in the same direction which you are pushing? If so, you are doing positive work. If the object moves in the opposite direction you are pushing, it means something is doing work on you! In that case, you are doing negative work. So, the work that you do is positive if you are the one succeeding in pushing in the object in the direction that you are pushing.

Thank you! :smile:

1. How do you determine the sign of work in electric problems?

The sign of work in an electric problem can be determined by considering the direction of the electric force and the displacement of the charged particle. If the force and displacement are in the same direction, the work will be positive. If they are in opposite directions, the work will be negative.

2. What is the significance of the sign of work in electric problems?

The sign of work in electric problems indicates whether the work done on a charged particle will increase or decrease its electric potential energy. A positive work means the potential energy of the particle is increasing, while a negative work means the potential energy is decreasing.

3. Can the sign of work in electric problems ever be zero?

Yes, the sign of work in electric problems can be zero if the electric force and displacement are perpendicular to each other. In this case, the work done on the charged particle will not affect its electric potential energy.

4. How does the distance between two charged particles affect the sign of work in electric problems?

The distance between two charged particles does not directly affect the sign of work in electric problems. However, it can indirectly affect the sign of work by changing the magnitude of the electric force and displacement, which in turn can change the sign of work.

5. Can the sign of work in electric problems be used to predict the motion of a charged particle?

No, the sign of work in electric problems alone cannot be used to predict the motion of a charged particle. Other factors such as the initial velocity and mass of the particle also play a role in determining its motion.