Diamagnetism experiment with copper/lead

In summary: Levitation is possible with a strong permanent magnet, but I'm not sure if it's possible to do it at home.
JoeSalerno
I'm new to the concept of diamagnetism, but it seems very fascinating, and I'd like to try a simple experiment. Say I wanted to repel a small piece of lead (or copper, both are readily available to me) about 3.5 grams, how strong of a magnet would I need? Could I just use small neodymium magnets or would a more serious electromagnet be needed? Is there a way to calculate the needed magnetic field strength and compare it to the magnetic susceptibility value of lead or copper? Excuse me if I've made any fundamental errors, as I've only really read about it a bit on the internet.

Engineering news on Phys.org
It is a weak effect, but you can demonstrate it with permanent magnets if you have a setup that reacts to small forces. Here is an example with a rolling soda can.

mfb said:
It is a weak effect, but you can demonstrate it with permanent magnets if you have a setup that reacts to small forces. Here is an example with a rolling soda can.
From what I've read, you can't increase the diamagnetic strength of an object, but increasing the strength of the magnetic field it is present in pushes it away harder. If you theoretically had a super strong permanent or electromagnet, would you be able to repel the small sample of lead?

Every moving magnet will lead to a force, stronger magnets just lead to stronger forces. There is no threshold.

In case it is not obvious: the force due to diamagnetism in metals such as copper and lead is so small that the effect is tiny even in very large fields. The force is small that it is not something one needs to think about even when dealing with say 14T superconducting magnets.
Note that the famous levitating frog was in the bore of a 16T magnet.

Directly seeing the effect in experiment that can be done at home would most likely be impossible

Bismuth's diamagnetism is so strong that you can levitate it with strong permanent magnets. You can buy pieces of bismuth and do it at home.

mfb said:
Bismuth's diamagnetism is so strong that you can levitate it with strong permanent magnets. You can buy pieces of bismuth and do it at home.

Indeed, but the susceptibility of bismuth is something like 20 higher than that of of copper and lead (which means the effect can be seen at ~1T which is the field you get from a strong RE magnet).

1. What is diamagnetism?

Diamagnetism is a property of certain materials, such as copper and lead, where they will become weakly magnetized in the opposite direction of an applied magnetic field.

2. How can copper and lead be used in a diamagnetism experiment?

Copper and lead are both considered diamagnetic materials, meaning they can be used in an experiment to demonstrate the effects of diamagnetism. When placed in a magnetic field, they will exhibit a weak repulsion away from the field.

3. What is the purpose of a diamagnetism experiment with copper and lead?

The purpose of a diamagnetism experiment with copper and lead is to demonstrate the concept of diamagnetism and how it differs from other types of magnetism, such as paramagnetism and ferromagnetism. It can also be used to study the magnetic properties of different materials and their response to an applied magnetic field.

4. How can the strength of the diamagnetism in copper and lead be measured?

The strength of diamagnetism in copper and lead can be measured using a gaussmeter, which is a device that measures the strength of a magnetic field. By placing the copper or lead sample in the gaussmeter and observing the change in the magnetic field, the strength of the diamagnetism can be determined.

5. Can other materials exhibit diamagnetism besides copper and lead?

Yes, there are many other materials that exhibit diamagnetism, including gold, silver, and water. However, some materials may also exhibit other types of magnetism in addition to diamagnetism, so careful experimentation and observation is necessary to determine the exact properties of a material.