How Fast Does Mars Travel Around the Sun?

• Thread starter lanvin
  • Start date
All that cancels and leaves the same thing.In summary, the orbital speed of Mars relative to the sun is approximately 2.4 x 10^4 m/s. Both methods, using either the formula v=d/t or v=2pi*r*f, are correct and will yield the same result. The second method includes extra steps, but ultimately leads to the same solution.
lanvin
Mars travels around the sun in 1.88 {Earth} yrs,in an approximately circular orbit with a radius of 2.28 * 10^8km.Determine
{a}The orbital speed of Mars {relative to the sun}Answer {a}:
period {T} = 1.88 * 365 *24 * 3600 sec , R = 2.28 * 10^8 * 10^2 = 2.28 * 10^11
d = 2 pie R ------> 2 * 3.14 * 2.28 * 10^11
V=d / T -------> { 2 * 3.14 * 2.28 * 10^11 } / { 1.88 * 365 *24 * 3600 }
=2.4 * 10^4m/sIs that correct?or do I use

acceleration of centripetal motion = (4)(pi^2)(r)(f^2)

then use the acceleration and find velocity in

V = √(acceleration x radius)

which method is correct? if any...

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You did this correctly, though longishly.

And the second way is the same thing just with with extra steps. Notice that your initial solution was to find v=d/t, where d is the circumference, 2 pi r , and t is the period, T.

so v=(2 pi r)/T (all done right there)

and since f= 1/T , v=2 pi r f

Your second solution takes the square of this, divides by radius, then multiplies by radius, then square roots it.

Both methods are correct, but they may give slightly different results due to rounding errors. The first method uses the formula V=d/T, which calculates the average orbital speed over the entire orbit. The second method uses the formula V=√(a*r), which calculates the instantaneous orbital speed at a specific point in the orbit. It is up to you to decide which method is more appropriate for your question.

1. Did I follow the correct steps in solving this problem?

This is a common question that people ask when they are unsure if they have solved a problem correctly. To ensure you have followed the correct steps, double check that you have clearly identified and understood the problem, used the appropriate formulas or methods, and checked your work for any errors.

2. Did I use the correct units in my answer?

Using the correct units is crucial in scientific calculations. It's important to pay attention to the units given in the problem and make sure your answer is in the same unit. If you are unsure, you can always double check with your formula or ask a peer or teacher for help.

3. Is my answer reasonable?

Sometimes, when solving a problem, you may get an answer that seems too high or too low. In these cases, it's important to check your work and make sure you have not made a calculation error. You can also try plugging in your answer to the original problem to see if it makes sense.

4. Did I show all of my work?

In science, it's important to show your work and provide evidence for your answers. This not only helps you double check your work, but it also allows others to understand your thought process and verify your solution.

5. Can you check my answer?

As a scientist, it's important to seek feedback and validation for your work. If you are unsure about your answer, don't hesitate to ask a peer, teacher, or mentor to review your work and provide feedback. This can help you catch any errors and improve your problem-solving skills.