Diff Eq. Easy question on prob. Please help last step

• Thread starter frozenguy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diff eq
In summary, to solve this problem, we rearranged the equation to isolate $Y(s)$ and then took the inverse Laplace transform using the properties of the transform. We ended up with a final solution of $y(t)=e^{-2t}t+\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\cos(t)$.
frozenguy
Diff Eq. Easy question on prob. Please help...last step

Homework Statement

Solve

The Attempt at a Solution

So this is my attempt. I just need to figure out how to adjust Y(s) so I can take inverse laplace transform. I have made the denominator a single fraction, whose denominator is s2+1 and numerator is s3+s+s2, then obviously inverse that but I can't really figure out what to do with that if its the right way. I even tried factoring it out a bit but leads to dead ends.
Thanks for your time..
prob4.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
So the equation is$$\frac{s^3+s+s^2}{s^2+1}Y(s)=e^{-s}$$First, we need to rearrange the equation to put $Y(s)$ on one side:$$Y(s)=\frac{e^{-s}}{s^3+s+s^2}\frac{1}{s^2+1}$$Now, we can take the inverse Laplace transform of both sides:$$y(t)=\mathscr{L}^{-1}\left[\frac{e^{-s}}{s^3+s+s^2}\frac{1}{s^2+1}\right]$$This can be simplified as follows:$$y(t)=\mathscr{L}^{-1}\left[\frac{e^{-s}}{(s+1)(s^2+1)}\right]$$Using the properties of the inverse Laplace transform, we can write this as:$$y(t)=e^{-t}\mathscr{L}^{-1}\left[\frac{1}{s+1}\right]+\mathscr{L}^{-1}\left[\frac{1}{s^2+1}\right]$$Finally, using the inverse Laplace transform of $\frac{1}{s+1} = te^{-t}$ and $\frac{1}{s^2+1}=\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\cos(t)$, we have:$$y(t)=e^{-t}te^{-t}+\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\cos(t)$$$$y(t)=e^{-2t}t+\frac{1}{2}\sin(t)+\frac{1}{2}\cos(t)$$

FAQ: Diff Eq. Easy question on prob. Please help last step

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various natural phenomena and can be solved to find the function that satisfies the equation.

2. How is a differential equation different from a regular equation?

A regular equation contains only algebraic terms, while a differential equation contains derivatives of a function. This means that the solution to a differential equation is a function, rather than a single value.

3. What are some applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, biology, and economics. They can be used to model systems such as population growth, heat transfer, and electrical circuits.

4. What is the easiest method for solving a differential equation?

The easiest method for solving a differential equation depends on the type of equation and its specific form. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using an integrating factor.

5. What is the last step in solving a differential equation?

The last step in solving a differential equation is typically to find the particular solution by applying any initial or boundary conditions given in the problem. This will result in a specific function that satisfies the equation and meets the given conditions.