Diff eq of mechanical system w/ friction with zero input

In summary, the equation of motion for a system with a constant friction force is to use imaginary components in the spring constants to represent the friction (or attenuation) of the oscillation. This is done by replacing the real part of the phasor with the imaginary part. Additionally, if the input force is constant and the system is in equilibrium, the frictional force will be zero.
leright
diff eq of mechanical system w/ friction with zero input...

I was wondering how we get around modeling mechanical systems with frictional forces (forces proportional to normal force and in the direction opposite of the motion) and the external force is zero. So, take for example a second order differential equation modeling spring/mass/damper/friction system with a forced response of zero. the spring force is proportional to displacement, the dampening force is proportional to velocity, and the friction is proportional to weight. The differential equation just doesn't work for situations where the forced response is zero. The input has to equal the frictional force, or else the solution of the equation implies that the system will move out of equilibrium due to the frictional force and oscillate, which is ludicrous.

Any explanations? What am I overlooking?

The inverse laplace transform of the s-domain solution is the equation of the motion for this system with a frictional force present.

the s-domain solution for the displacement I found is -K1/[ms^2 + K2s + K1] where K1 is hooke's constant, K2 is the damping ratio, and K3 is the frictional force, which is a constant. Can someone find the inverse of this? I looked through some tables and couldn't find the solution.

So, I guess my question is how to we model this system so it takes friction into account, but will allow for a forced response of zero? I want x(t) to be zero for when f(t) is zero, even with the friction force in the DE.

Also, I want the frictional force to switch directions as the oscillating spring switches directions. Say, my input is a constant for some time and then when the spring force equals the input force the input force drops to zero (I let go of the mass). I want to frictional force to maintain in the direction opposite of the motion...

Also, the damping force works fine because it is proportional to the velocity. so if the block direction switches direction, the damping force also switches direction. yay. Also, if the initial position is zero, then even if the force is zero the x(t) = 0, since again, damping force is proportional to velocity. Frictional force, however, isn't, and I do not understand how to model it correctly. MAybe this is why my control systems book didn't mention frictional force and skipped ahead to dampening force.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
maybe this is too complicated of a problem and that is why it seems to be ignored by all textbooks. meh.

anyone? This thread was viewed by 15 physics experts and no insight? :p

Use imaginary components in the spring constants to represent the friction (or attenuation) of the oscillation.

Claude.

Claude Bile said:
Use imaginary components in the spring constants to represent the friction (or attenuation) of the oscillation.

Claude.

I'm not sure I follow.

Could someone elaborate on Claude's comment? It may be beyond my mathematical experience.

Claude meant you should use phasors to describe the oscillation. The phasor for a frictionless spring would be x=A*exp(i*w*t) (A- amplitude, w - angular frequency, t- time, i- sqrt(-1)). Notice that when you take the real part of a phasor, you get back the more familiar form of the displacement
Re(x)=A*cos(w*t) according to De Moivre's theorem.
When you put a complex frequency w+i*g instead of real one you get the equation of motion for an oscillator under the influence of friction (aka decaying oscillation).
x=A*exp(i*(w+ig)*t)=A*exp(-g*t)*exp(i*w*t)
Re(x)=A*exp(-g*t)*cos(w*t)

edit: sorry for the double post.

ok, so let's take the DE for a spring/mass/damper system with a constant frictional force, and apply a generic external input force to the system. The DE is,

m*(second derivative of displacement) + (damping ratio)*(first derivative of displacement) + (spring constant)*(displacement) = input force.

Now, I want to modify this DE so that it accounts for a constant frictional force. Can someone show me how this is done?

also, pseudovector, that gives me a better understanding of why cosine functions with imaginary arguments are really damped consines.

interesting.

Also, say for instance we have a constant input force and pull on the block until the spring force balances the input force. We now have equilibrium and the block no longer moves. Will the frictional force modification mentioned above work in this case? The frictional force should be zero in equilibrium, but the spring force is NOT zero. Is this a flaw in our model?

You must model your friction force as [tex]F_f = -K_3\cdot sign(v)[/tex].
Where the function sign(x) is
  • 1 if x > 0
  • 0 if x = 0
  • -1 if x < 0

SGT said:
You must model your friction force as [tex]F_f = -K_3\cdot sign(v)[/tex].
Where the function sign(x) is
  • 1 if x > 0
  • 0 if x = 0
  • -1 if x < 0

damn, that means my system is non-linear and cannot be laplace transformed, so I cannot find the transfer function.

Yes, dry friction is a nonlinear effect.

Related to Diff eq of mechanical system w/ friction with zero input

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as the motion of objects, population growth, and chemical reactions.

2. What is a mechanical system with friction?

A mechanical system with friction is a system in which the motion of objects is affected by the force of friction. Friction is a resistance force that opposes the motion of objects and is caused by the interaction between two surfaces in contact.

3. How does friction affect the behavior of a mechanical system?

Friction can cause a mechanical system to slow down or come to a stop, as it acts in the opposite direction of the object's motion. It can also cause wear and tear on the system and decrease its efficiency.

4. What is a zero input in a mechanical system with friction?

A zero input refers to a system that is not being affected by any external forces or inputs. In the context of a mechanical system with friction, this means that there are no additional forces acting on the system, besides the force of friction itself.

5. How can differential equations be used to model a mechanical system with friction and zero input?

Differential equations can be used to describe the behavior of a mechanical system with friction and zero input by incorporating the forces of friction into the equations. This allows for the prediction of the system's motion and behavior over time.