DiffEq - Initial Value Problem / Integration help

In summary, the problem is an initial value problem for a differential equation. The goal is to solve for y using separation of variables and integrating both sides. The right side can be integrated using u-substitution, but the left side requires further help, possibly using partial fraction decomposition.
twiztidmxcn
This question is an initial value problem for diffeq. We are asked to solve explicitly for y.

(1+cos(x))dy = ((e^(-y))+1)*sin(x)dx , y(0) = 0

I attempted a separation of variables and ended up with the following:

dy / ((e^(-y))+1) = (sin(x) / (1 + cos(x))) dx

I know that my next step is to integrate both sides and then solve using the given initial value, but I am unsure as to how I am supposed to integrate either side.

For the right side, I believe I can integrate using u-substitution, where:

u = cos(x) + 1
du / dx = -sin(x)

So that the right side becomes -1/u, integrates to -ln(u), then -ln(1+cos(x)).

For the left side, I've tried using partial fraction decomposition but end up either with my original equation or the natural logarithm of a negative number.
This is where I need help, is in the integration of the left hand side.

thank you
-twiztidmxcn

Physics news on Phys.org
IF you mutiply dy/((e^-y)+1) by (e^y)/(e^y) before intetgrating, can you then use integration by substitution?

Related to DiffEq - Initial Value Problem / Integration help

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena and can be solved using various methods.

2. What is an initial value problem?

An initial value problem is a type of differential equation that involves finding the solution of a function at a given starting point, or initial value. This starting point is typically used to determine the constants in the solution of the differential equation.

3. How are initial value problems solved?

Initial value problems can be solved using various methods, such as analytical methods (e.g. separation of variables, integrating factors) or numerical methods (e.g. Euler's method, Runge-Kutta methods). The method used depends on the complexity of the problem and the desired accuracy of the solution.

4. What is integration in the context of differential equations?

Integration is the process of finding the antiderivative or the definite integral of a function. In the context of differential equations, integration is often used to solve initial value problems by finding the general solution of the equation and then using the initial conditions to find the specific solution.

5. Why are initial value problems important in science?

Initial value problems are important in science because they allow us to model and understand real-world phenomena using mathematical equations. They are used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to make predictions and solve problems. Additionally, initial value problems are the basis for many other types of differential equations, making them essential for further study in mathematics and science.