Difference between atomic behavior in QM and classical physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between quantum mechanics and classical physics in understanding the behavior of atoms and molecules. The uncertainty principle and the wave-like nature of atoms are mentioned, and the question of whether atoms in solids overlap or cancel each other out is posed. The speaker is directed to study specific books on the topic for a deeper understanding.
durant35
I believe this question will be a no-brainer for many members. I want to conceptually grasp how do atoms (and molecules) behave using QM in contrast to the classical physics model. Now there's uncertainty principle and atoms don't have a fixed position and momentum, and that's fine, I know it's not entirely correct but I imagine it in a wave-like way where they are spread out in space and mutually interacting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Now for instance the atoms in a solid are tightly packed, does this mean that the atoms (which are 'wavy') mutually overlap in space and get entangled, or do they cancel each other out in a way that they occupy a specific region of space where we can find them but do not overlap with other atoms? I hope my question is clear so it can be described how is the atomic behavior in everyday objects (not in isolation and cold temperatures) different in the quantum picture than in the classical picture.

Regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
durant35 said:
I believe this question will be a no-brainer for many members. I want to conceptually grasp how do atoms (and molecules) behave using QM in contrast to the classical physics model.

In other words you want to know the difference between QM and classical physics.

Sorry but there is no other choice than to study it.

These two books explain it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465075681/?tag=pfamazon01-20
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0465062903/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The difference is clearly seen in the Poisson bracket formulation. They are the same except classical physis has dynmaical variables as numbers, in QM they are operators. Of ourse that will sound like giberish until you study the books I mentioned. And no it can't be explained at the lay level.

Thanks
Bill

1. What is the main difference between atomic behavior in quantum mechanics and classical physics?

The main difference is that in quantum mechanics, the behavior of atoms is described by probabilistic equations, while in classical physics, their behavior is described by deterministic equations.

2. How do the models of atomic behavior in quantum mechanics and classical physics differ?

In quantum mechanics, atoms are described as both particles and waves, whereas in classical physics they are treated as point-like particles with definite positions and trajectories.

3. Why is quantum mechanics necessary to explain atomic behavior?

Quantum mechanics takes into account the wave-like nature of particles at the atomic level, which classical physics does not. It also allows for the description of phenomena such as superposition and entanglement, which are crucial for understanding atomic behavior.

4. Can classical physics accurately predict atomic behavior?

No, classical physics cannot accurately predict atomic behavior. It fails to explain many phenomena observed at the atomic level and does not take into account the probabilistic nature of subatomic particles.

5. How does the concept of uncertainty play a role in the difference between atomic behavior in quantum mechanics and classical physics?

The uncertainty principle in quantum mechanics states that it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty. This is a fundamental difference from classical physics, which assumes that all variables can be known with certainty. This plays a crucial role in understanding and describing atomic behavior in quantum mechanics.