Difference Between Peroxo and Superoxo Bonding to Fe

• Thread starter Rajini
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between end-on and side-on binding of oxygen to iron, specifically in the case of Fe-O-O and [see attachment]. The main question is whether it is always accurate to label these as superoxo and peroxo, respectively. The response states that this depends on the metal, its redox state, and other ligands present. The conversation also mentions relevant papers and theoretical studies on metalloenzymes, and highlights the importance of considering the spin states and electronic distribution in determining the exact binding mode.
Rajini
hello all,
we know that

1) Fe-O-O is end-on binding of O to Fe and
2) [see attachment] is side-on binding of O to Fe (please assume vertical lines/pipe as a single bond).

Now my doubt is:
Is it completely and always true to name 1 as superoxo and 2 as peroxo ?
I am just asking whether the other name for 1 is superoxo and for 2 is peroxo.
thanks

Attachments

• 1.bmp
    29.8 KB · Views: 533
Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Rajini said:
Is it completely and always true to name 1 as superoxo and 2 as peroxo ?

Nope. It depends on the metal, its redox state, and whatever other ligands you might have.

See e.g. http://www.pnas.org/content/100/7/3635.abstract" paper, and many others from Tolman and Cramer.
(Also, since you seem interested in metalloenzymes, I should mention Siegbahn and Blomberg's work too, since they've done more theoretical studies of metalloenzymes, especially oxygen-activating ones, than anyone else)

Being a theorist, I would hesitate to characterize them as one or the other until I'd done a calculation and seen the spin-density distribution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahh.
I only want to know for Fe !

For eg.,
in this paper by Que:
doi:10.1038/nature07371
can i say the structure in Fig. 2, bottom-left, as side-on rather than Fe(III)-peroxo ?
they mention it as Fe(III)-peroxo .

It's a peroxo binding side-on to Fe(III), yes.

But let's just be clear, there's a sliding scale here.
You always have a resonance between for instance,
Fe(I)-O2 <-> Fe(II)-superoxo <-> Fe(III)-peroxo
After all, you're just moving electrons, which can easily "be in several places at once".

Quantum-mechanically you never see an exact integer number of electrons. So when you say it's "Fe(III)-peroxo" you're just saying it's mostly like that.
But there's so much going on with spin states, ferromagnetic coupling, etc, that it's difficult to say offhand. Which is of course why they do theoretical studies of this stuff in the first place.

In my experience, the binding (side-on vs end-on) is more due to the redox state of the metal and its other ligands, than due to the redox state of the oxygen.
(And the binding, in turn does influence what redox state the oxygen ends up in. )

Last edited:
Hi i got the essence from your reply.
thanks

Related to Difference Between Peroxo and Superoxo Bonding to Fe

What is the difference between peroxo and superoxo bonding to Fe?

Peroxo and superoxo bonding are two types of oxygen bonding to an iron (Fe) atom. In peroxo bonding, two oxygen atoms are bonded to the Fe atom, while in superoxo bonding, only one oxygen atom is bonded to the Fe atom.

How do peroxo and superoxo bonding affect the reactivity of Fe?

The presence of peroxo or superoxo bonding can greatly affect the reactivity of Fe. Peroxo bonding is more stable and less reactive compared to superoxo bonding. This is because the two oxygen atoms in peroxo bonding share the negative charge, making it less reactive towards other molecules.

What is the molecular structure of peroxo and superoxo complexes with Fe?

In peroxo bonding, the two oxygen atoms are directly bonded to the Fe atom, forming a linear structure. In superoxo bonding, the oxygen atom is bonded to the Fe atom at an angle, resulting in a bent structure.

Which type of oxygen bonding is more commonly found in biological systems?

In biological systems, superoxo bonding is more commonly found compared to peroxo bonding. This is because superoxo bonding is more reactive and can participate in important biological reactions such as oxidative stress and detoxification processes.

Can peroxo and superoxo complexes be used as catalysts?

Both peroxo and superoxo complexes with Fe have been found to exhibit catalytic activity. However, superoxo complexes are more commonly used in catalysis due to their higher reactivity and ability to undergo redox reactions.