Difference Electric Field Strength Point Charges vs. Plates

In summary, the electric field strength between two point charges on a straight line varies depending on the location on the line, while the field strength between two parallel plates remains the same anywhere between the plates. This is due to the plates being treated as infinitely large and using symmetry observations to calculate the field. The flaw in the reasoning was found by the person on their own.
Merlion
Why does the electric field strength on a straight line (E = k.(Q1/d12+Q2/d22). D1,2 = distance with respect to Q1,Q2) between two point charges vary with the location on this line while the field strength between two parallel plates which remains the same anywhere between the plates.

There's obviously a flaw in my reasoning.

Physics news on Phys.org
Merlion said:
There's obviously a flaw in my reasoning
What is your reasoning ?

This is true for plates which are very large compared to the distance between the plates. In such a scenario, the plates can be treated as infinitely large, and you can use symmetry observations to calculate the field.

Thanks for the answers.

I found my flaw in my reasoning on my own.

Likes BvU

1. What is the difference between the electric field strength of point charges and plates?

The electric field strength of point charges refers to the strength of the electric field at a specific point in space around a single charged particle. This strength decreases as the distance from the point charge increases, following an inverse square law. On the other hand, the electric field strength of plates refers to the strength of the electric field between two parallel charged plates. This strength remains constant and uniform between the plates, regardless of the distance from the plates.

2. How is the electric field strength of point charges calculated?

The electric field strength of point charges is calculated using Coulomb's law, which states that the strength of the electric field is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge. The formula for this is E = kQ/r^2, where E is the electric field strength, k is the Coulomb's constant, Q is the magnitude of the charge, and r is the distance from the charge.

3. Is the electric field strength of plates affected by the size of the plates?

No, the electric field strength of plates is not affected by the size of the plates. As long as the plates remain parallel and the distance between them remains constant, the electric field strength will remain constant. The size of the plates only affects the overall capacitance of the system, not the electric field strength.

4. How does the direction of the electric field differ between point charges and plates?

The direction of the electric field for point charges is always radial, pointing away from positive charges and towards negative charges. On the other hand, the electric field between two parallel plates is always perpendicular to the plates and points from the positive plate to the negative plate.

5. Can the electric field strength of point charges and plates be manipulated?

Yes, the electric field strength of both point charges and plates can be manipulated. For point charges, the strength can be changed by varying the magnitude of the charge or the distance from the charge. For plates, the strength can be changed by altering the distance between the plates or changing the magnitude of the charges on the plates.