Differencing x/4: What is the Rule?

• Thread starter jamesbob
  • Start date
In summary, the speaker is unsure about how to differentiate x/4 and is seeking clarification. The rule states that if k is a constant, then (kf(x))' = kf'(x), which can be proven using the Product Rule. The speaker already figured out the answer but thanks the other person for the explanation which will be helpful in the future. They clarify that this is not a homework problem, but rather a question they encountered while revising for exams.
jamesbob
Im unsure on a very very basic differetiation i need for part of a question.

Quite simply - differentiate x/4. Thats it. Or x over any number - just never knew the rule. Is it simply 1? or 4? or 1/4?

I need to know for a question where iv to find the differential du for u = sin(x/y). Therefore i need to partially differentiate sin(x/y)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, why not ponder the identity [itex]\frac{x}{4}=x*\frac{1}{4}[/itex] for a while?

Since, I don't think this is a homework problem, I'll guide you and give you the answer.
There's a rule says that if k is a constant, then:
(k f(x))' = k f'(x). This can be proven by using the Product Rule.
Proof:
(k f(x))' = k' f(x) + k f'(x) = 0 f(x) + k f'(x) (the derivative of a constant is 0) = k f'(x) (Q.E.D)
------------------------
So applying that rule here, we have:
[tex]\left( \frac{x}{4} \right)' = \frac{1}{4} (x)' = \frac{1}{4}[/tex]
You can also try the Product Rule or the Quotient Rule, both will work, but is a little bit longer.
Can you get this? :)

I'd already worked this out but thanks for that explanation - I am sure it'l help in the future. I am revising for exams - it was just a silly hurdle in a question - so no, not homework. Thanks again:smile:

Related to Differencing x/4: What is the Rule?

1. What does "differencing x/4" mean?

"Differencing x/4" refers to the mathematical operation of subtracting the value of x divided by 4 from itself. In other words, it is finding the difference between two values, where one value is x/4 and the other value is x.

2. How do you perform the differencing x/4 operation?

To perform the differencing x/4 operation, you simply subtract x/4 from x. This can be done using a calculator or by hand using basic arithmetic.

3. Can you provide an example of differencing x/4?

Sure, let's say x = 12. The operation would be written as x - x/4 or 12 - 12/4. This would result in a final value of 9, since 12/4 = 3 and 12 - 3 = 9.

4. What is the purpose of differencing x/4?

The purpose of differencing x/4 is to find the difference between two values, where one value is x/4 and the other value is x. This can be useful in various mathematical and scientific calculations and analyses.

5. Are there any other types of differencing operations?

Yes, there are various types of differencing operations, such as simple differencing, seasonal differencing, and exponential differencing. Each type serves a different purpose and is used in different fields of study.