Is the rate of change of Inflation negative?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the rate of increase of the rate of inflation and asks for a solution in terms of derivatives of average prices. The correct answer involves defining the rate of change of inflation as I', and then stating that if I is decreasing, then I' must be negative. However, there is a mistake in the conversation where the derivative of the rate of increase of inflation is incorrectly stated as -I'. The correct statement should be that the derivative of the derivative of inflation is negative.
envanyatar
Differential eq problem (urgent)

I have the following question which I was to answer:
"The rate of increase of the rate of inflation is decreasing". Write this sentence in terms of derivatives of average prices.

My answer was:
Let p=price
t=time
Therefore rate of change of price = dp/dt (Inflation) = I

Therefore rate of change of Inflation = I'

Therefore I'= (d^2p)/(dt^2)

Since the rate of change of Inflation is decreasing;

I' = - (d^2p)/(dt^2)

I just wanted to check whether my answer is correct.
Please help.

Physics news on Phys.org
I have the following question which I was to answer:
"The rate of increase of the rate of inflation is decreasing". Write this sentence in terms of derivatives of average prices.

My answer was:
Let p=price
t=time
Therefore rate of change of price = dp/dt (Inflation) = I

Therefore rate of change of Inflation = I'

So far, so good.

I' = - (d^2p)/(dt^2)

I just wanted to check whether my answer is correct.

Your answer is not correct, and if you look at two of your lines side by side it should be clear why:

I' = - (d^2p)/(dt^2)

If I' simultaneously equals both (d^2p)/(dt^2) and - (d^2p)/(dt^2), then I' can only be zero, which is obviously not true.

Your first definition of I' is correct. So, if I is decreasing then what mathematical statement would you say about I'?

Tom Mattson said:
Your first definition of I' is correct. So, if I is decreasing then what mathematical statement would you say about I'?

So if dI/dt is decreasing, is the I' negative? (i.e. -I')?

Actually, if I read this correctly, there is another problem that has not been addressed:
"The rate of increase of the rate of inflation is decreasing"

Yes, the "rate of inflation" is dp/dt. Yes, the "rate of increase of the rate of inflation" is d2p/dt2. Now you want say that that is decreasing. What must be true of its derivative (i.e. d3p/dt3?

envanyatar said:
So if dI/dt is decreasing, is the I' negative? (i.e. -I')?

No, you're just making the same mistake all over again. If I'=-I', then I' can only be zero.

Think about it, if you want to say that x is negative then you don't say that x is -x, you say that x is less than zero.

So how do you write that down in mathematical symbols?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena, such as motion, growth, and decay.

2. What is the difference between an ordinary differential equation and a partial differential equation?

An ordinary differential equation involves a single independent variable and its derivatives, while a partial differential equation involves multiple independent variables and their partial derivatives.

3. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved analytically using mathematical methods, such as separation of variables, or numerically using computational techniques, such as Euler's method or Runge-Kutta methods.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in various fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology, to model and predict the behavior of complex systems. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, and the flow of electricity through a circuit.

5. What are initial value problems and boundary value problems?

An initial value problem involves finding a solution to a differential equation that satisfies a given set of initial conditions, while a boundary value problem involves finding a solution that satisfies a given set of conditions at different points in the domain of the function.