What is the Correct Approach for Solving This Differential Equation?

In summary, the conversation is discussing a differential equation and its solution. The problem statement is incomplete and it is unclear what needs to be done. The equation for y2 should be y2 = c1(x + c2/4) instead of c12/4. The correct way to handle the equation is to substitute the expressions for y and y' into the differential equation and verify if it is correct. There is a possible typo in the textbook where c2 = (1/4)c12. Moving y to the other side of the equation is not necessary.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

y = 2xy' + y(y')2 ; y2 = c1(x + c1/4)

Homework Equations

So far I've gotten the second equation to be: y = (c1x + c12/4)1/2

I was then going to take the derivative of that equation and plug them into the first equation after setting it to zero.

Is that the right way to handle this particular equation?

Physics news on Phys.org

aaronfue said:

Homework Statement

y = 2xy' + y(y')2 ; y2 = c1(x + c1/4)
Your problem statement is incomplete - it doesn't say what you need to do. Are you supposed to show that the equation with y2 is a solution of the diff. equation?

Also, your equation for y2 should be y2 = c1(x + c2/4)

aaronfue said:

Homework Equations

So far I've gotten the second equation to be: y = (c1x + c12/4)1/2

I was then going to take the derivative of that equation and plug them into the first equation after setting it to zero.
"after setting it to zero" - ??

Your equation for y should be written as y = ±(c1(x + c2/4))1/2, since the original equation determines two values for y: one positive and one negative.

Substitute your expressions for y and y' into the differential equation. If the solution is correct, you'll get an equation that is identically true.
aaronfue said:
Is that the right way to handle this particular equation?

Mark44,

You are correct, the problem asked to verify that the indicated function is a solution of the given differential equation.

- My initial equation was correct. There is no c2 in the equation. (see attached document from textbook)

- "after setting it to zero" : I was referring to y = 2xy' + y(y')^2 --> 0 = 2xy' + y(y')^2 - y

Thanks for your reply.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    7.8 KB · Views: 314

aaronfue said:
Mark44,

You are correct, the problem asked to verify that the indicated function is a solution of the given differential equation.

- My initial equation was correct. There is no c2 in the equation. (see attached document from textbook)
That is possibly a typo in the book. The right side of that equation is the same as c1x + c2, where c2 = (1/4)c12.
aaronfue said:
- "after setting it to zero" : I was referring to y = 2xy' + y(y')^2 --> 0 = 2xy' + y(y')^2 - y
OK, that wasn't clear to me. You could work with the equation as-is, without moving y to the other side. It doesn't make much difference either way.

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between a function and its derivatives. It involves the use of derivatives to express the rate of change of a variable over time.

2. What is the purpose of solving a differential equation?

The purpose of solving a differential equation is to find a function that satisfies the given equation, which can then be used to make predictions and model real-world phenomena.

3. What are the different types of differential equations?

There are several types of differential equations, including ordinary differential equations (ODEs) that involve a single variable, partial differential equations (PDEs) that involve multiple variables, and stochastic differential equations (SDEs) that involve random variables.

4. How do you solve a differential equation?

The method used to solve a differential equation depends on its type and complexity. Some methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integrating factors. Numerical methods, such as Euler's method and Runge-Kutta methods, can also be used to approximate solutions.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations are used in many fields, including physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model population growth, chemical reactions, heat transfer, and electrical circuits, among other things. They also play a crucial role in the development of mathematical models for predicting and understanding various phenomena in the natural world.