Differential Equations Homework

In summary: I guess that's what we're doing, but it's not very intuitive.In summary, the student is trying to find two solutions to a differential equation but is having difficulty. The theorem states the existence of two such functions, but the student is not sure what they are.
ballajr

Homework Statement

1. Let D and I be the differential operator and the identity operator, respectively. Find two
real-valued functions f(t) and g(t) such that:
D[tex]^{2}[/tex] + I = (D + f(t)I)(D + g(t)I):

2. Use this theorem to prove the corollary given below.
Theorem: There are two nonzero solutions y[tex]_{1}[/tex] and y[tex]_{2}[/tex] to the differential equation
y''+ p(t)y' + q(t) = 0
such that one of the two functions is not a constant multiple of the other, and
that c[tex]_{2}[/tex]y[tex]_{1}[/tex]+c[tex]_{2}[/tex]y[tex]_{2}[/tex] for arbitrary constants c[tex]_{1}[/tex] and c[tex]_{2}[/tex] is a general solution to the
differential equation.
Corollary: If z[tex]_{1}[/tex] and z[tex]_{2}[/tex] are two nonzero solutions to the differential equation such that one of the two functions is not a constant multiple of the other, then c[tex]_{1}[/tex]z[tex]_{1}[/tex] + c[tex]_{2}[/tex]z[tex]_{2}[/tex] for arbitrary constants c[tex]_{1}[/tex] and c[tex]_{2}[/tex] is a general solution the
differential equation.

3. Prove the theorem stated in #2.

Homework Equations

1. I know there is a theorem such that ((D[tex]^{2}[/tex] + a[tex]^{2}[/tex]I) = 0 and then this equation equals c[tex]_{1}[/tex]cos(at) + c[tex]_{2}[/tex]sin(at)

The Attempt at a Solution

1. I tried to do this, but got lost. I know that
(D[tex]^{2}[/tex] + I) = c[tex]_{1}[/tex]cos(1t) + c[tex]_{2}[/tex]sin(1t).
That's all I've got.

2. My teacher assigned this problem, but I have no clue how to go about proving this corollary. The corollary seems like the same as the theorem except with using z's instead of y's and I'm confused.

3. Again, I have no clue how to prove this theorem, so I need some help.

Thanks guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
For some reason, it didn't subscript the c's and y's and z's. All of those are supposed to be written as subscripts, not superscripts. The only superscripts are just the D's and they are squared.

Any thing inside the [ tex ] tags tends to get put above the line anyway.

Put the whole thing inside [ tex ]: [ tex ]c_2[ /tex ]: [tex]c_2[/tex], not c[ tex ]_2[ /tex]: c[tex]_2[/tex].

In fact, it is better to put the whole formula inside the tex tags.

This problem has nothing to do with solving the equation.

You are asked to find two functions, f(x) and g(x) so that
(D+ f(x)I)(D+ g(x)I)= D^2+ I

Go ahead and "multiply" the left side: (D+ f(x)I)(D+ g(x)I)= D(D+ g(x)I)+ f(x)I(D+ g(x)I)
= D^2+ D(g(x))I+ f(x)D+ f(x)g(x)I= D^2+ g'(x)I+ f(x)D+ f(x)g(x)I.

For that to be the same as D^2+ I, you must have f(x)= 0 and g'(x)+ f(x)g(x)= 1. The first of those equations makes it particularly easy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you so much! That seems so easy, but I don't think I would have ever known that method, but now it makes so much sense. Thank you!

Any input on the other 2 problems?

My teacher gave the following hint:
The theorem states the existence of such two functions, and we don't know what they are. What we know is that there ARE two such functions. That's what the theorem is about, namely, the existence of such two functions. Now, not knowing what those are, we pull out tricks and managed to find two solutions; for example, z1=t² and z2=t³. Using this example, I raise a question: are we going to reach all the solutions by considering
a t² + b t³
and all constants a and b?

FAQ: Differential Equations Homework

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe the relationship between a function and its derivatives. They are used to model and analyze a wide range of phenomena in science and engineering.

2. How are differential equations solved?

Differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and substitution. The specific method used depends on the type and complexity of the equation.

3. What is the importance of differential equations in science?

Differential equations play a crucial role in many areas of science, including physics, chemistry, biology, and engineering. They are used to model and understand natural phenomena, and have applications in fields such as fluid dynamics, population dynamics, and electrical circuits.

4. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have a wide range of applications in the real world. They are used to study population growth, predict weather patterns, design control systems for machines, and model the spread of diseases.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving differential equations?

To improve your skills in solving differential equations, it is important to have a strong understanding of calculus and algebra. Practice solving a variety of differential equations, and seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if needed.