1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Differential equations - inverse laplace transforms

1. Mar 7, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

We are given the following LaPlace Transformations and we are to find g(t) and h(t).

L(g)(t) = 1/[(1-e^(-2s))(s-1)]

L(h)(t) = (e^-s)/s(1-e^-s)

2. Relevant equations

By looking at the Table of LaPlace Transformations, the only one I found that could possibly work for both of these is

f(t+T) = f(t) ---> (integral from 0 to T of e^(-st)f(t) dt)/ 1-e^(-sT)

3. The attempt at a solution

For the first one, I broke it into two separate equations, 1/(1-e^-2s) * 1/(s-1) and for the second part it would be e^t. However, I am very confused on the equation I found in the Table and I'm not sure how to use it on either of these.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 8, 2008 #2

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

That formula makes it easy to compute the Laplace transform of a periodic function, but I don't see how it's going to make it easy to do the inverse transform. I think the following is a better approach.

* Use the summation formula for convergent geometric series:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^\infty x^n = \frac{1}{1-x}[/tex], [tex]|x|<1[/tex].

Here, [itex]x=e^-Ts[/itex]. Since [itex]T>0[/itex], you can apply the above sum formula.

Once you have done that, then...

* Make repeated use the time shift property of Laplace transforms:

[tex]e^{-Ts}F(s) \longrightarrow f(t-T)U(t-T)[/tex]

I think you'll have more success taking that route.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?