Differential Equations KE Problem

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to find the object's kinetic energy and heat given the forces of air drag and gravity. The equation used is possibly y"+ (Force due to Drag)y' + (gravity)y = 0, although the exact equation is uncertain. It is suggested to focus on the velocity of the object and use Newton's second law to derive the appropriate differential equation.
steven452

Homework Statement

We're supposed to find the object's KE and heat. Given:

Forces on Object: Air Drag + Gravity
Air Drag = .5(coefficient of drag)(1.2 kg/m3)v2A
A = cross sectional area
R = Radius of object
Object is X Km above the ground
Initial velocity = V

We are told it should be an initial value problem.

Homework Equations

Possibly y"+ (Force due to Drag)y' + (gravity)y = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried plugging in the initial conditions to the equation above, but I'm stuck at that point.

Physics news on Phys.org
Possibly y"+ (Force due to Drag)y' + (gravity)y = 0
How did you get that equation?

Since kinetic energy has nothing to do (directly) with position, you shouldn't have to solve for y (which I'm assuming stands for the height of the object); instead, focus on v(t), and don't forget that a(t) = dv/dt

I just sort of assumed that's the equation we had to use, but I wasn't sure?

What initial value differential equation should I be using?

You should be able to derive an equation using Newton's second law and what you know about the forces acting on the object

I was originally going to do it entirely with Newton's laws, but I'm having a hard time seeing how Newton's equations can "convert" into DE?

1. What is a differential equation?

A differential equation is a mathematical equation that relates a function with its derivatives. It is used to model various physical phenomena such as motion, growth, and diffusion.

2. What is the difference between ordinary and partial differential equations?

Ordinary differential equations involve a single independent variable, whereas partial differential equations involve multiple independent variables. Ordinary differential equations are used to model systems with one variable, while partial differential equations are used to model systems with multiple variables.

3. How are differential equations used in kinetic energy problems?

Differential equations are used in kinetic energy problems to model the relationship between an object's velocity and its kinetic energy. This allows us to solve for the velocity of an object at a given time or to analyze the change in kinetic energy over time.

4. What are some common techniques for solving differential equations?

Some common techniques for solving differential equations include separation of variables, substitution, and integrating factors. Other methods such as Laplace transforms and numerical methods may also be used depending on the complexity of the equation.

5. How are differential equations applied in real-world scenarios?

Differential equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology to model and solve real-world problems. They can be used to predict the behavior of complex systems, optimize processes, and make informed decisions based on mathematical models.