Differential Equations lesson today

In summary, to find the position x as a function of time for an object of mass m, located at x = 0 and moving with velocity Voi at time t = 0 and thereafter experiencing a net force -kmv^2i, you need to integrate the equation dx = \frac{v_0 dt}{1+ktv_0} with respect to time from t=0 to t and position from x=0 to x. This will give you a function of x(t) that represents the position of the object at any given time.
mystro
Given the following equation:

[tex]V(t) = \frac{v_{0}}{1+ktv_{0}} [/tex]

find the position x as a function of time for an object of mass m, located at x = 0 and moving with velocity Voi (where i is the unit vector i) at time t = 0 and thereafter experiening a net force -kmv^2i

I'm guessing I need to integrate that function however seeing as we've only started integration today in calculus and htis was assigned in physics, I'm not quite sure as to how to approach the problem.

as far as I can see
[tex] \frac{dx}{dt} = \frac{v_{0}}{1+ktv_{0}} [/tex]

in which case

[tex] ({1+ktv_{o}}) dx = {v_{0}}dt [/tex]

but I'm not sure as to how to integrate the left and the right side of the function

any advice would be appreciated :)

Physics news on Phys.org
mystro said:
[tex] ({1+ktv_{o}}) dx = {v_{0}}dt [/tex]

This is not correct. It should be

[tex] dx = \frac{v_0 dt}{1+ktv_0} [/tex].

You should gather those [tex]t[/tex] dependence term with the same side as [tex]dt[/tex] so that you could integrate with respect to [tex]t[/tex].

Next, integrate LHS from [tex]x=0[/tex] to [tex]x[/tex] and RHS from [tex]t=0[/tex] to [tex]t[/tex]. You will obtain a function of the position [tex]x(t)[/tex].

Kenneth

More generally if you have something like

[tex]\frac{f(u)}{g(t)} = \frac{dt}{du}[/tex]

then to integrate you'll want to bring it into the form

[tex]f(u) du = g(t)dt[/tex]

(sometimes, instead of the above form, you'll have [tex]\frac{g(t)}{f(u)} = \frac{dt}{du}[/tex]. To integrate, you'll have to rewrite it as [tex]\frac{dt}{g(t)} = \frac{du}{f(u)}[/tex].)

FAQ: Differential Equations lesson today

1. What are differential equations?

Differential equations are mathematical equations that describe how a quantity changes over time. They involve one or more variables and their derivatives, and are often used to model systems in physics, engineering, and economics.

2. Why are differential equations important?

Differential equations are important because they allow us to describe and understand complex systems in a mathematical way. They are used to make predictions, solve problems, and design solutions in various fields of science and engineering.

3. How are differential equations solved?

There are various methods for solving differential equations, depending on the type of equation and the problem being solved. Some common methods include separation of variables, substitution, and using integral transforms.

4. Can differential equations be solved analytically?

Yes, some differential equations can be solved analytically, meaning that an exact solution can be found using mathematical techniques. However, not all differential equations have analytical solutions, and in those cases, numerical methods must be used.

5. What are some real-world applications of differential equations?

Differential equations have many real-world applications, including modeling population growth, predicting weather patterns, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of chemical reactions. They are also commonly used in engineering fields such as mechanics, fluid dynamics, and control systems.