Differential Equations - Second Order

In summary, the conversation discusses solving a homogeneous differential equation using the assumption of V=e^rt and the use of Laplace transforms. The equation is solved by plugging in the assumption and obtaining a characteristic equation, which is a simple quadratic. The use of assumptions in mathematics is a common and effective approach to problem-solving.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

Hi,

It's been a while since I have taken differential equations. How do I solve an equation like this:

[itex]k_{1}\frac{d^{2}V_{x}(t)}{dt^{2}}+k_{2}\frac{dV_{x}(t)}{dt}+k_{3}V_{x}(t)=0[/itex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have looked through my books and it says to assume that

[itex]V_{x}(t) = Ae^{st}[/itex]

The book then goes on to solve the equation which I can follow. However I would like to know how to actually solve the problem mathematically without "assuming". If I remember correctly you can use something called Laplace transforms. However, I don't really remember if you can solve this equation using Laplace transforms. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
That equation is homogeneous, you only need to assume that V=e^rt, no need for the A, it would just be merged with an arbitrary constant. You then plug that into the DE, getting you what we call a characteristic equation (which will be a simple quadratic of r, I think you can do it easily.) Also, "assuming" is mathematical. Because that's a great assumption. A function, plus its derivative, plus its second derivative, being zero, must be some function with a repetitive differentiation pattern. It's not just an "assume this because I say so." We make assumptions of the form of an equation and deduce the specifics of our assumption for the answer, all the time. Doing so is by far and wide the cleanest, most elegant way to solve this problem.

1. What is a second order differential equation?

A second order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of a function. It can be written in the form of f''(x) = g(x), where f''(x) represents the second derivative of the function and g(x) represents some other function of x.

2. What is the general solution to a second order differential equation?

The general solution to a second order differential equation is a function that satisfies the equation for all values of x. It contains two arbitrary constants, since a second order differential equation can only determine the function up to two constants.

3. How do you solve a second order differential equation?

There are several methods for solving a second order differential equation, including the method of undetermined coefficients, the variation of parameters method, and the method of reduction of order. The specific method used will depend on the form of the equation and any initial conditions that are given.

4. What are the applications of second order differential equations?

Second order differential equations have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. They are used to model a wide range of phenomena such as vibrations, oscillations, and population growth. They are also used in control theory, signal processing, and circuit analysis.

5. How do you check the solution to a second order differential equation?

In order to check the solution to a second order differential equation, you can substitute the solution into the equation and verify that it satisfies the equation for all values of x. Additionally, if initial conditions are given, you can check that the solution satisfies these conditions as well.