1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Differential forms as a basis for covariant antisym. tensors

1. May 8, 2017 #1
    In a text I am reading (that I unfortunately can't find online) it says:

"[...] differential forms should be thought of as the basis of the vector space of totally antisymmetric covariant tensors. Changing the usual basis [tex] dx^{\mu_1} \otimes ... \otimes dx^{\mu_n}[/tex] with [tex] dx^{\mu_1} \wedge ... \wedge dx^{\mu_n}[/tex] of some covariant tensor we can extract its totally antisymmetric part
    [tex]T= \frac{1}{n!}T_{\mu_1 ... \mu_n}\hspace{1pt} d x^{\mu_1} \wedge ... \wedge d x^{\mu_n}= \frac{1}{n!}T_{[\mu_1 ... \mu_n]}\hspace{1pt} d x^{\mu_1} \wedge ... \wedge d x^{\mu_n}."[/tex]

What is the point here? Is T an arbitrary tensor with n covariant components, or must T already be antisymmetric in order for this expression to hold? In order to know the components [tex]T_{\mu_1 ... \mu_n}[/tex] of T, so we can use the expression on the RHS above, we must already know what the tensor T looks like? Then, what is the point of such a decomposition?

2. jcsd
  3. May 8, 2017 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

##T## is an arbitrary tensor. Until now, this doesn't say anything more than ##T## is a multi-dimensional scheme of numbers. In the first step, you say, these numbers represent coordinates. So the question is, according to which basis? As you answer "covariant multilinear forms", it means ##T## is interpreted according to a basis ##dx^{\mu_1} \otimes \ldots \otimes dx^{\mu_n}##. It is still the same scheme of numbers. Now you say "but my multilinear forms are alternating differential forms". This means you pass from the tensor algebra ##\mathcal{T}(V^*)## onto the homomorphic image of its Graßmann algebra ##\Lambda(V^*)##. It means, the basis vectors are now alternating differential forms and ##T_{\mu_1 \ldots \mu_n}## the coordinates of ##T## according to this basis. It is still the same scheme of numbers, however, interpreted as an element of the algebra of alternating differential forms (with a normalization factor).

Your question is as if you had asked, whether ##(1,2)## is a point, a line, a tangent, a slope, a linear mapping or a differential form. It is whatever you want it to be. The usual way to get there is of course the opposite direction: given an alternating differential form ##T##, what are its coordinates according to the basis ##dx^{\mu_1} \wedge \ldots \wedge dx^{\mu_n}\;##?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted