[Differential Geometry] Matrix of Differential Equations in SO(3)

In summary, we have shown that if a smooth function ##s \to A(s) \subset \mathbb{M}_{33}(\mathbb{R})## is antisymmetric for all ##s##, and ##Q_0 \in SO(3)##, then the unique solution to $$\dot{Q}(s) = A(s)Q(s), \quad Q(0) = Q_0$$ satisfies ##Q(s) \in SO(3)## for all ##s##. This is proven by using the properties of ##Q \in SO(3)##, specifically that ##Q^TQ=I## and ##det(Q)=1##, to show that ##Q(s)##
mef51

Homework Statement

Suppose that ##s \to A(s) \subset \mathbb{M}_{33}(\mathbb{R})## is smooth and that ##A(s)## is antisymmetric for all ##s##. If ##Q_0 \in SO(3)##, show that the unique solution (which you may assume exists) to
$$\dot{Q}(s) = A(s)Q(s), \quad Q(0) = Q_0$$
satisfies ##Q(s) \in SO(3)## for all ##s##.

Homework Equations

For ##Q \in \mathbb{M}_{33}(\mathbb{R})##, if:
  • ##Q^TQ = I, \quad Q \in O(3)##
  • additionally, if ##det(Q) = 1, \quad Q \in SO(3)##
  • Note: ##Q^TQ = QQ^T## for ##Q \in SO(3)##
For ##A \in \mathbb{M}_{33}(\mathbb{R})##,
  • ##A## is antisymmetric if ##A^T = -A##

The Attempt at a Solution

Since I only know that ##Q_0## is in ##SO(3)##, I suspect that ##\dot{Q}(s)## must be 0. In that case, since the derivative is zero, ##Q(s)## must be constant and ##Q(s)=Q_0## for all ##s##. So I try to prove that ##A(s)Q(s)## is zero.

Based on a hint someone gave me I'll start by taking the derivative of ##{Q_0}^TQ_0 = I##:
$$
({Q_0}^TQ_0)' = I' \\
\dot{Q_0}^TQ_0 + {Q_0}^T\dot{Q_0} = 0_{33} \\
{Q_0}^T\dot{Q_0} = - \dot{Q_0}^TQ_0 \\
Q_0{Q_0}^T\dot{Q_0} = - Q_0\dot{Q_0}^TQ_0 \\
Q_0{Q_0}^T\dot{Q_0} = - Q_0\dot{Q_0}^TQ_0 \\
\dot{Q_0} = - Q_0\dot{Q_0}^TQ_0 \\
$$
Now I plug in that expression for ##\dot{Q_0}## in the differential equation..
$$
- Q_0\dot{Q_0}^T Q_0 = A_0Q_0 = -{A_0}^T Q_0
$$
I'm not really sure what this gives me though. I'm also not confident that you can even use the product rule like that. It certainly isn't true for matrices in general.
Any help or pokes in the right direction are appreciated!

mef

Physics news on Phys.org
I made a mistake in my attempt:
Since ##Q_0## is constant, taking the derivative of ##Q_0## is just 0. Should perhaps take the derivative of ##A(s)Q(s)## instead

Alright let's take the derivative of ##Q^TQ##. If this ends up being zero, then ##Q^TQ## is constant and could be equal to the identity ##I_{33}##. This would prove one of the properties we want ##Q## to have to be in ##SO(3)##. We need to use ##\dot{Q} = AQ## and ##A^T=-A##

$$
(Q^TQ)' = \dot{Q^T}Q + Q^T\dot{Q} \\
\qquad = \dot{Q^T}Q + Q^TAQ \\
\qquad = (AQ)^TQ + Q^TAQ \\
\qquad = Q^TA^TQ + Q^TAQ \\
\qquad = -Q^TAQ + Q^TAQ \\
\qquad = 0\\
$$

So ##Q^TQ## is constant. Can we just say ##Q^TQ = I_{33}## which is constant?

Since ##Q^TQ## is constant ##\forall s##,
##Q^TQ = {Q_0}^T Q_0 = I_{33}## since ##Q_0## is in ##SO(3)##. Ok.

I now need to show that ##det(Q) = 1 \quad \forall s##, knowing that ##det(Q_0) = 1##
I know that ##det(Q^TQ) = det(I_{33}) = 1##

So using properties of determinants
##1 = det(Q^TQ) = det(Q^T)det(Q) = (det(Q)) ^2##

This gives me ##det(Q) = \pm 1## but how can I discard the -1 solution??

Okokok.

Since ##Q(s)## is differentiable, it must be continuous. ##det(Q)## must also be continuous.

Since ##det(Q_0) = 1##, if ##det(Q)## were ever -1, then by the Intermediate Value Theorem there should be an ##s## such that ##det(Q(s)) = 0 ## (or any other value between 1 and -1).

But since ##det(Q)## can only be either 1 or -1, ##det(Q)## can never be -1 without violating the IVT. So we must have that ##det(Q) = 1## for all ##s##.

That in combination with the other posts should prove that ##Q \in SO(3) \quad \forall s##.
##\square##

mef51 said:
Okokok.

Since ##Q(s)## is differentiable, it must be continuous. ##det(Q)## must also be continuous.

Since ##det(Q_0) = 1##, if ##det(Q)## were ever -1, then by the Intermediate Value Theorem there should be an ##s## such that ##det(Q(s)) = 0 ## (or any other value between 1 and -1).

But since ##det(Q)## can only be either 1 or -1, ##det(Q)## can never be -1 without violating the IVT. So we must have that ##det(Q) = 1## for all ##s##.

That in combination with the other posts should prove that ##Q \in SO(3) \quad \forall s##.
##\square##

Yes, I think you pretty much have it. Good job!

1. What is the significance of the matrix of differential equations in SO(3)?

The matrix of differential equations in SO(3) represents the dynamics of a rigid body in three-dimensional space. It describes the relationships between the position, velocity, and acceleration of the body at any given time.

2. How is the matrix of differential equations derived in SO(3)?

The matrix of differential equations is derived using the principles of differential geometry, specifically the theory of Lie groups and Lie algebras. These mathematical concepts provide a framework for understanding the geometric properties and transformations of objects in a specific space.

3. What is the role of the matrix of differential equations in robotics and control systems?

In robotics and control systems, the matrix of differential equations in SO(3) is used to model the motion and behavior of robotic arms and other mechanical systems. It helps engineers and scientists to design and analyze the performance of these systems, and to develop control strategies for achieving desired movements and trajectories.

4. Can the matrix of differential equations in SO(3) be applied to other spaces besides three-dimensional space?

Yes, the matrix of differential equations in SO(3) can be extended to other spaces, such as n-dimensional space. This allows for the study of the dynamics of more complex systems, such as multi-joint robots or articulated objects.

5. How does the matrix of differential equations in SO(3) relate to other areas of mathematics?

The matrix of differential equations in SO(3) has connections to various areas of mathematics, including linear algebra, differential equations, and topology. It also has applications in fields such as computer graphics, computer vision, and physics.