Differential Op Amp Gain Problem

In summary, The conversation is about trying to prove the gain of a simple Op Amp circuit. The gain equation is given, but the person is having trouble solving it analytically. They can prove it using a spice deck, but they want to understand it from an analytical perspective. The issue arises when the positive feedback from the output is added, making the calculation of the loop gain difficult. It is noted that regardless of the value of resistor RG, the presence of positive feedback should not affect the calculation.
caprice24
Hi,

I have a problem I am trying to work out on simple Op Amps gain, and I am having trouble trying to prove what the gain is. I know what the gain is supposed to be (see below), but I am stumped as to how to actually go about proving it. When I try to setup the Kirchoff node equations I get a really ugly polynomial.

I can put the design into a spice deck and prove it, but I want to understand the design from an analytical point of view.

Gain = 2*R2/R1 * (1 + R2/Rg)(V2-V1) (GAIN FOR THE OP AMP in the attached jpg file)

Now looking at the above equation it is obvious if you eliminate resistor Rg, the equation becomes a simple differential amplifier gain, which I can easily solve and prove. However when you add the positive feedback from the output, you get a different Beta for the loop gain that is hard to figure out.

Nick

Attachments

• Opamp with variable gain.jpg
    Opamp with variable gain.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 525
Engineering news on Phys.org
That makes no sense at all. R2 is in parallel with RG. So whether or not there is positive feedback, can not depend on the value of RG.

Related to Differential Op Amp Gain Problem

What is a differential op amp gain problem?

A differential op amp gain problem refers to a situation where the output voltage of an operational amplifier (op amp) is not proportional to the difference between its two input voltages, resulting in a gain error.

What causes a differential op amp gain problem?

There are several factors that can cause a differential op amp gain problem, such as mismatched resistors, incorrect feedback network, input offset voltage, or non-ideal op amp characteristics.

How can I troubleshoot a differential op amp gain problem?

To troubleshoot a differential op amp gain problem, you can perform a few steps, such as checking the circuit for faulty components, verifying the op amp's datasheet specifications, and adjusting the feedback network to achieve the desired gain.

Can a differential op amp gain problem be fixed?

In most cases, a differential op amp gain problem can be fixed by adjusting the circuit or replacing faulty components. However, if the problem is due to non-ideal op amp characteristics, it may be more challenging to fix.

How can I prevent a differential op amp gain problem?

To prevent a differential op amp gain problem, it is essential to carefully design and select components for the circuit, use precision op amps, and consider the effects of temperature and other external factors on the op amp's performance.