Differential pressures balancing a valve armature

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a two-port valve and the calculation of the force due to differential gas pressure on the armature. The first question asks for a more rigorous and general rule for selecting boundaries, while the second question verifies the analysis of Fgas and potential criticisms. The principles of hydrostatic pressure can be used to calculate the forces of a fluid on an object.
LowEParticle
I have 2 questions on a two-port valve that I would like to ask for assistance with. There are three pairs of drawings below that need explanations:

The first pair shows a one-piece armature with two o-rings providing sealing service on the bottoms of the upper and lower plates. The o-rings are shown with non-circular, flattened profiles representing their compressed state. The 5 relevant measurements are:
ID_UpperSeal = 26mm
OD_UpperSeal = 30mm
D_Shaft = 14mm
ID_LowerSeal = 16mm
OD_LowerSeal = 20mm

The second pair of drawings shows the valve body. There are two inlet orifices, an upper and a lower, and one discharge pipe that is assumed to be so large that it is not a restriction. The 2 relevant measurements are shown below, however, in my analysis below I do not use either of these orifice sizes. I include these because it seems likely that others may want to refer to them in their own solutions:
D_UpperOrifice = 22mm
D_LowerOrifice = 12mm

The third pair of drawings shows the entire valve: the armature and the valve body together. The armature has an actuator moving it up and down that is not shown in these drawings. In the closed position, the gas around the outside of the valve has pressure Phigh, while inside the valve the pressure is Plow. These 2 gas pressures both act on the two armature plates to produce a single combined force Fgas on the armature. The gas pressures are quite constant, unless of course the valve is opened at which time Plow rises to be very nearly equal to Phigh.

My thought was that in a situation with irregular surfaces, the force on each of the two armature plates would be the sum of the pressures times the areas incident to the pressures, projected onto a plane normal to the direction of the force being calculated. My first question is: can anyone state this rule of selecting boundaries in a more rigorous and general way?

The armature is constrained to vertical motion, and so the force Fgas of interest is also vertical. The 2 o-rings are already (radially) within a plane normal to Fgas, so the force Fgas(lower) on the lower armature plate is the high-side pressure Phigh times the internal area of the lower seal, minus the low-side pressure Plow times the external area of the lower seal:

Fgas(lower) = Phigh*[itex]\pi[/itex]*(ID_LowerSeal/2)2 - Plow*[itex]\pi[/itex]*(OD_LowerSeal/2)2

The force Fgas(upper) on the upper armature plate is very similar: the pressures are reversed, the seal areas are from the upper seal instead of the lower seal, and the armature shaft area is subtracted from the internal seal area calculation:

Fgas(upper) = Plow*[itex]\pi[/itex]*((ID_UpperSeal/2)2 - (D_Shaft/2)2) - Phigh*[itex]\pi[/itex]*(OD_UpperSeal / 2)2

The total Force due to differential gas pressure on the armature is then just:

Fgas = Fgas(lower) + Fgas(upper)

I would like to design the valve so that in the closed position it requires very little effort for the actuator to open, which would be the case if Fgas = 0. My second question is can anyone verify my analysis of Fgas, or can anyone criticize it? The issue I'm most worried about is my somewhat shaky method of choosing the 4 area boundaries, described above in my first question.

Thank you very much for reading my problem, and any light you can shed on it.
Dave

Attachments

• __Armature.png
    __Armature.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 465
  • __Valve Body.png
    __Valve Body.png
    2.8 KB · Views: 406
  • __Entire Valve.png
    __Entire Valve.png
    3.2 KB · Views: 471
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, your analysis of Fgas is correct. The force on each armature plate is calculated by the difference between the high-side pressure and the low-side pressure multiplied by the corresponding area. Regarding your first question about selecting boundaries in a more rigorous and general way, one approach is to use the principles of hydrostatic pressure. Hydrostatic pressure states that the pressure at any point inside a fluid is equal to the pressure at the edge of the fluid plus the weight of the fluid column above that point. This can be used to calculate the forces of a fluid on an object.

1. What is a valve armature?

A valve armature is the component of a valve that controls the flow of fluid or gas. It typically consists of a movable disc or plate that opens and closes to regulate the flow.

2. How does differential pressure affect a valve armature?

Differential pressure refers to the difference in pressure on either side of the valve armature. This pressure difference is what causes the valve armature to move and open or close, allowing for the regulation of flow.

3. What is the purpose of balancing a valve armature?

The purpose of balancing a valve armature is to ensure that the pressure on both sides of the valve is equal, allowing for more precise control of the flow. This helps to prevent issues such as cavitation or damage to the valve from unequal pressure.

4. How is differential pressure balanced in a valve armature?

This can be achieved through the use of various techniques such as using a pressure relief valve, adjusting the position or size of the valve armature, or using a balancing valve in the system.

5. What factors can impact the balancing of a valve armature?

Factors that can affect the balancing of a valve armature include changes in flow rate, temperature, viscosity of the fluid, and the design of the valve and its components. It is important to consider these factors when selecting and maintaining a valve armature to ensure proper balancing and optimal performance.