Differentiate from first principles

In summary, the student is having difficulty simplifying equations involving sin and cosine functions. They are also having difficulty with binomial expansions.
auru

Homework Statement

Differentiate from first principles with respect to x: x^n (where n belongs to the natural numbers).

Homework Equations

f'(x) = Lim x→0 [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h

The Attempt at a Solution

f'(x) = Lim x→0 [f(x+h) - f(x)]/h
= Lim x→0 [(x+h)^n - x^n]/h

I need some help simplifying this.

Physics news on Phys.org
[(x+h)^n - x^n] ... use the binomial expansion theorem to get the first few terms of (x+h)^n:

x^n + n x^(n-1) h^1 + (n|2) x^(n-2) h^2 ... where (n|2) is the number of combinations of n items taken 2 at a time.

Then simplify, and take the limit.

UltrafastPED said:
[(x+h)^n - x^n] ... use the binomial expansion theorem to get the first few terms of (x+h)^n:

x^n + n x^(n-1) h^1 + (n|2) x^(n-2) h^2 ... where (n|2) is the number of combinations of n items taken 2 at a time.

Then simplify, and take the limit.

I don't have a very good understanding of the binomial theorem. I'm not sure what this means: "where (n|2) is the number of combinations of n items taken 2 at a time" or how it helps me.

My only experience of the binomial theorem has been making the h into a 1 thus giving me (x+h)^n = [(1/h)^n].(x/h + 1)^n where n has always been given to me.

I tried the above and just came out with x^n-1. I'm not sure where to obtain the n I need.

I'm having some serious issues with [sin(x+h) - sin(x)]/h and {[1/(x+h^1/2)]-[1/(x^1/2)]}. I think the second of which can be solved with (a-b)(a+b) = a^2 - b^2 or am I completely wrong?

auru said:
I tried the above and just came out with x^n-1. I'm not sure where to obtain the 1/n I need.
Show us what you did when you expanded (x + h)n using the binomial theorem.

Mark44 said:
Show us what you did when you expanded (x + h)n using the binomial theorem.

I've just managed to do it. I expanded (x+h)^n, subtracted x^n and divided by h. Substituting 0 in for h I am left with just one term which had no h after the division, which was (n 1)x^n-1 which I now realize gives me n.x^n-1.

But I am still unsure about the others I mentioned above. I tried just about every identity I could to get the sine one to work, unless I missed something. I have lim θ→0 Sinθ/θ = 1 but I'm not sure how to make it helpful.

Last edited:

1. What is the definition of differentiation from first principles?

Differentiation from first principles is a method of finding the derivative of a function at a specific point by using the definition of the derivative, which involves taking the limit of the difference quotient as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.

2. Why is differentiation from first principles important in mathematics?

Differentiation from first principles is important because it is the most fundamental way to find the derivative of a function, which is a key concept in calculus and is used to analyze the rates of change and slopes of curves.

3. How is differentiation from first principles different from other methods of finding derivatives?

Differentiation from first principles is different from other methods because it is based on the definition of the derivative, rather than using pre-determined rules or formulas. It is also more precise and can be applied to any function, regardless of its complexity.

4. What are the steps involved in differentiation from first principles?

The steps involved in differentiation from first principles are:

1. Write out the definition of the derivative.
  2. Substitute the function and the chosen point into the definition.
  3. Simplify the difference quotient as much as possible.
  4. Take the limit as the change in the independent variable approaches zero.
  5. If the limit exists, this is the derivative of the function at the given point.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using differentiation from first principles?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using differentiation from first principles are:

• Forgetting to take the limit at the end.
  • Not simplifying the difference quotient enough.
  • Using the wrong point or function in the definition.
  • Not being careful with algebraic manipulations.