Differentiate the following equation

In summary, you correctly differentiated s = Tan ^{2}(e^{4t}) and evaluated the derivative at 0 to find the result to be v(0) = 8 * \frac{Tan(1)}{Cos^2(1)}.
Blablablabla

Homework Statement

Differentiate

s = Tan [itex]^{2}[/itex](e[itex]^{4t}[/itex])

Homework Equations

[e[itex]^{u}[/itex]]' = u' e[itex]^{u}[/itex]

[Tan(θ)]' = Sec[itex]^{2}[/itex](θ)

Sec(θ) = [itex]\frac{1}{Cos(θ)}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

s' = 2[Tan(e[itex]^{4t}[/itex])] * Sec[itex]^{2}[/itex](e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]) * 4e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]

s' = 8e[itex]^{4t}[/itex] * Tan(e[itex]^{4t}[/itex]) * Sec[itex]^{2}[/itex](e[itex]^{4t}[/itex])

s' = 8e[itex]^{4t}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{Tan(e^(4t))}{Cos^2(e^(4t))}[/itex]

Mathway says that s' = 0... Can someone please let me know where I went wrong? Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You're derivative is right. Are you sure they didn't ask you to evaluate the derivative at some point? I'm guessing that they want you to evaluate it at 0.

Yes, you're right, I have to find s'(0) aka v(0)

I end up getting this:

v(0) = 8e[itex]^{0}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{Tan(e^0)}{Cos^2(e^0)}[/itex]

v(0) = 8 * [itex]\frac{Tan(1)}{Cos^2(1)}[/itex]

Is that good?

Blablablabla said:
Yes, you're right, I have to find s'(0) aka v(0)

I end up getting this:

v(0) = 8e[itex]^{0}[/itex] * [itex]\frac{Tan(e^0)}{Cos^2(e^0)}[/itex]

v(0) = 8 * [itex]\frac{Tan(1)}{Cos^2(1)}[/itex]

Is that good?

Yes, it is.

1. What does it mean to differentiate an equation?

Differentiation is a mathematical process that involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to its independent variable. In other words, it is the process of finding the slope or gradient of a curve at any given point.

2. How do you differentiate an equation?

To differentiate an equation, you need to use a set of rules and formulas that are specific to the type of equation you are working with. These rules involve taking the derivative of each term in the equation with respect to the independent variable and simplifying the resulting expression.

3. What is the difference between differentiation and integration?

Differentiation and integration are inverse operations of each other. While differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function, integration involves finding the original function from its rate of change. In other words, integration is the reverse process of differentiation.

4. Can all equations be differentiated?

No, not all equations can be differentiated. Only equations that are continuous and have a defined rate of change at every point can be differentiated. Equations with discontinuities or sharp turns, such as step functions, cannot be differentiated.

5. What are the applications of differentiation in real life?

Differentiation is used in many fields, such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics, to analyze rates of change and make predictions. It is also used in optimization problems to find the maximum or minimum value of a function. In everyday life, differentiation can be used to calculate velocity, acceleration, and growth rates.