Differentiation of Vector Valued Functions - Browder, Proposition 8.12 ....

In summary: U that converges to p, the corresponding sequence in V (f(x_n)) also converges to f(p). This is the definition of continuity, so we can conclude that f is continuous at p. This proves Proposition 8.12.I hope this helps, and good luck with your proof!
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I am reading Andrew Browder's book: "Mathematical Analysis: An Introduction" ... ...

I am currently reading Chapter 8: Differentiable Maps and am specifically focused on Section 8.2 Differentials ...

I need help in proving Proposition 8.12 ... ...

Proposition 8.12 and the definitions, remarks and propositions leading up to it read as follows:
View attachment 7467
https://www.physicsforums.com/attachments/7468Although Browder states that Proposition 8.12 is easy to prove I am unable to make an effective start on the proof ...

Can someone please demonstrate how Proposition 8.12 is proved ...

[Note that I am unsure about the definition ... and the nature ... of the \(\displaystyle f'_i (p)\) ... ... ]

Help will be much appreciated ...

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
When you are "not sure" about definitions, look at simple examples. Start with a two dimensional case, say \(\displaystyle \vec{f}(x, y)= \begin{pmatrix} f_1(x, y) \\ f_2(x, y)\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}x^2y \\ e^x sin(y)\end{pmatrix}\).

The "rows" referred to are \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial f_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_1}{\partial y}\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix}2xy & x^2\end{pmatrix}\) and \(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial f_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_2}{\partial y}\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} e^x sin(y) & e^x cos(y)\end{pmatrix}\) so that the 2 by 2 "derivative matrix" is
\(\displaystyle \begin{pmatrix}\frac{\partial f_1}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_1}{\partial y} \\ \frac{\partial f_2}{\partial x} & \frac{\partial f_2}{\partial y}\end{pmatrix}= \begin{pmatrix} 2xy & x^2 \\ e^x sin(y) & e^x cos(y)\end{pmatrix}\)

Hi Peter,

I am also currently reading Browder's book and am at the same section as you. I have not yet attempted to prove Proposition 8.12, but I can offer some tips and insights that may help you in your proof.

Firstly, let's clarify the definitions and notations used in the proposition. The proposition is about differentiable maps, which are functions that have a derivative at every point in their domain. In this section, we are specifically looking at differentiable maps between two Euclidean spaces: f: U --> V where U and V are open subsets of R^n and R^m respectively.

The notation f'_i (p) refers to the partial derivative of f with respect to the i-th variable at the point p. This means that if we have a function f(x,y,z) and we want to find the partial derivative with respect to y at the point (a,b,c), then f'_2 (a,b,c) would be the notation used.

Now, onto the proof of Proposition 8.12. The proposition states that if f: U --> V is a differentiable map at p in U, then f is continuous at p. To prove this, we need to show that for any sequence of points in U that converge to p, the corresponding sequence of points in V also converges to f(p).

To do this, we can use the definition of differentiability at p. This means that the limit of the difference quotient (f(x)-f(p))/(x-p) as x approaches p exists. This limit is equal to the derivative of f at p, which we can denote as f'(p). This means that for any ε>0, there exists a δ>0 such that for all x in U, if |x-p|<δ, then |(f(x)-f(p))/(x-p) - f'(p)|<ε.

Now, let's consider a sequence (x_n) in U that converges to p. This means that for any ε>0, there exists a N such that for all n>N, |x_n-p|<δ. Using the above definition, we can see that for all n>N, |(f(x_n)-f(p))/(x_n-p) - f'(p)|<ε. This means that the sequence (f(x_n)) also converges to f(p), since the difference quotient is approaching f'(p).

Therefore,

Related to Differentiation of Vector Valued Functions - Browder, Proposition 8.12 ....

1. What is the importance of Browder Proposition 8.12 in differentiation of vector valued functions?

Browder Proposition 8.12 is an important result in the theory of differentiation of vector valued functions. It provides a precise condition for the existence of a derivative at a point, which is crucial for understanding the properties of these functions and their behavior.

2. Can you explain the statement of Browder Proposition 8.12?

Browder Proposition 8.12 states that if a vector valued function has a derivative at a point, then the limit of the difference quotient at that point must exist and be equal to the derivative. This means that the function must satisfy a certain smoothness condition in order for a derivative to exist.

3. How does Browder Proposition 8.12 relate to the concept of differentiability?

Browder Proposition 8.12 is a necessary condition for a vector valued function to be differentiable at a point. It ensures that the limit of the difference quotient exists and is equal to the derivative at that point. Therefore, it plays a crucial role in understanding the concept of differentiability for these types of functions.

4. What are the implications of Browder Proposition 8.12 in the study of vector valued functions?

Browder Proposition 8.12 has significant implications in the study of vector valued functions. It helps in determining whether a function is differentiable at a point or not, which in turn affects the behavior and properties of the function. It also allows for the calculation of derivatives and the use of other techniques in calculus.

5. Are there any real-world applications of Browder Proposition 8.12?

Yes, Browder Proposition 8.12 has many real-world applications, particularly in physics and engineering. It is used to study the behavior of vector valued functions in various physical systems, such as motion and fluid dynamics. It is also utilized in optimization problems and control theory, where differentiability is crucial for finding optimal solutions.