How can the difficulty of a complex integral be solved?

In summary, the integral of the form ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} e^{izk} dk ## may exist as a distribution or generalized function, but will not be a nice analytic function. It can be written in the form ## -2\frac{m}{z}K_{-1}(zm) ## and in the special case of ## m=0 ##, it is the Fourier transform of ## |k| ##. However, this integral generally diverges and requires the interpretation of a Cauchy principal value integral.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
How can I solve the integral below?
## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} \sqrt{k^2+m^2} e^{izk} dk ##
I thought about contour integration but, as you can see, it doesn't satisfy Jordan's lemma. Also no substitution comes to my mind!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm thinking that this integral might exist as a distribution (generalized function), but will not be a nice analytic function.

jason

jasonRF said:
I'm thinking that this integral might exist as a distribution (generalized function), but will not be a nice analytic function.

jason
I don't quite understand what you mean. As far as I know, a distribution is a mapping from the space of function to real numbers. But this is a definite integral with no "slot" to put a function in!

You should post this in the really difficult integrals thread too.

Shyan said:
Thanks, that was helpful. I can write the integral in the form ## -2\frac m z K_{-1}(zm) ##.
Are you using equation (5) in the link? If so, according to abramowitz and Stegun (http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_376.htm) that is only applicable when ## \nu > -1/2 ## so it doesn't hold in your case. The DLMF (http://dlmf.nist.gov/10.32) also quotes the same restriction, although they may have copied it from Abramowitz and Stegun. For ## \nu = -1 ## I'm not sure integral converges.

In the special case of ## m=0##, the integral is the Fourier transform of ## | k| ##. Of course this integral probably doesn't converge in the normal sense either, but if you allow yourself to use generalized functions (things like the Dirac delta function) then you find that it is proportional to ## |z|^{-2} ##, as long as you interpret ## |z|^{-2} ## correctly.

jason

jasonRF said:
Are you using equation (5) in the link? If so, according to abramowitz and Stegun (http://people.math.sfu.ca/~cbm/aands/page_376.htm) that is only applicable when ν>−1/2 \nu > -1/2 so it doesn't hold in your case. The DLMF (http://dlmf.nist.gov/10.32) also quotes the same restriction, although they may have copied it from Abramowitz and Stegun. For ν=−1 \nu = -1 I'm not sure integral converges.
I checked both ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} \sin k \ dk ## and ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} \cos k \ dk ## in wolframalpha.com. Both of them diverge. So the integral is ## \infty\pm i \infty ##.
Its strange that ## \int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} \sin k \ dk ## diverges because the integrand is odd and the interval is symmetric.

jasonRF said:
In the special case of m=0 m=0, the integral is the Fourier transform of |k| | k| . Of course this integral probably doesn't converge in the normal sense either, but if you allow yourself to use generalized functions (things like the Dirac delta function) then you find that it is proportional to |z|−2 |z|^{-2} , as long as you interpret |z|−2 |z|^{-2} correctly.
I still don't understand. How am I supposed to use the delta? How should I interpret ## |z|^{-2} ##?

Anyway, this seems strange. The integral is the kernel for another integral and was appeared when I was doing an exercise in a physics text. How can it be ## \infty\pm i \infty ##?! I guess the only explanation is that I did the exercise wrong! But I don't know how.

The reason,
##\int_{-\infty}^{\infty}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} \sin k \ dk ##
diverges is because it generally means
## \lim_{R \rightarrow \infty} \lim_{S \rightarrow \infty}\int_{-R}^{S}\sqrt{k^2+m^2} \sin k \ dk ##
where ##R## and ##S## are independent.

If this is the answer to a physics problem then you may have made a mistake - what is the original problem?

By the way, the integral you are doing is a Fourier transform. One way to define it would be:
[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left[f(k)\right] \equiv F(z) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dk f(k) e^{i k z}
[/tex]
Note that with this definition,
[tex]
-i \frac{d F(z)}{dz} = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dk \, k \, f(k) e^{i k z} = \mathcal{F}\left[k f(k)\right]
[/tex]
With these definitions (and a trick!) we can do the ##m=0## case, for which ##f(k) = |k| = k \, sign(k)##, where
##sign(k)=1## if ##k>0## and ##sign(k)=-1## if ##k<0##. The trick goes like this:
[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left[sign(k)\right] = \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0^+} \mathcal{F}\left[sign(k)e^{-\epsilon |k|}\right]= \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0^+} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dk \, e^{i k z} \, e^{-\epsilon |k|}\, sign(k) = i\frac{2}{z}
[/tex]
When I first saw this trick as an electrical engineer taking a signals and systems course it was not at all obvious why this was valid. It turns out that it can be justified in the theory of distributions, which I learned from the math department the following year (but it is still not obvious!).
Anyway, with this result your the ##m=0## integral becomes
[tex]
\mathcal{F}\left[|k|\right]=\mathcal{F}\left[k\, sign(k)\right]=-i\frac{d}{dz} \left( i\frac{2}{z}\right) = - \frac{2}{z^2}.
[/tex]
Note we have been fast and loose with the rigor, which is usually perfectly fine for an engineer. If that is all you are interested in then don't read the rest of my post please!

However, just like the dirac delta function is defined by how it operates under an integral, the results above also have that same flavor. Specifically, the ##2i/z## above actually means that when you multiply by a nice function ##g(z)## and integrate, you intepret the result as,
[tex]
\lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0^+} \left[ \int_{-\infty}^{-\epsilon} dz \frac{2i g(z)}{z} + \int_{\epsilon}^{\infty} dz \frac{2i g(z)}{z}\right] \equiv {PV} \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} dz \frac{2i g(z)}{z}
[/tex]
Where the above defines the Cauchy principal value integral. For the reason, sometimes you will see,
## \mathcal{F}\left[sign(k)\right] = 2i {PV} \frac{1}{z} ##
to remind you of how you interpret it. The final result ##-2/z^2 ## would be interpreted,
[tex]
-2 \lim_{\epsilon\rightarrow 0^+} \left[\int_{-\infty}^{-\epsilon} dz \frac{g(z)}{z^2} + \int_{\epsilon}^{\infty} dz \frac{g(z)}{z^2} - \frac{2 g(0)}{\epsilon}\right]
[/tex]
Sometimes this is referred to as a pseudofunction, and written,
## \mathcal{F}\left[|k|\right]=-2 PF \frac{1}{z^2} ##.

jason

Likes ShayanJ
jasonRF said:
If this is the answer to a physics problem then you may have made a mistake - what is the original problem?
I've posted the original problem here. It turns out that my calculations were correct and in fact the result should be divergent because of the divergence of the vacuum energy!

Anyway, the information in your post were interesting. I definitely need more study on this. Thanks.

1. What is a difficult complex integral?

A difficult complex integral is a mathematical expression that involves both real and imaginary numbers and requires advanced techniques to solve. It is typically represented as a function with an upper and lower limit, and can involve complicated variables and equations.

2. Why are complex integrals difficult to solve?

Complex integrals are difficult to solve because they involve both real and imaginary numbers, which require a different set of rules and techniques compared to traditional integrals with only real numbers. Additionally, complex integrals can involve complicated functions that are not easily integrated.

3. Are there any methods for solving difficult complex integrals?

Yes, there are several methods for solving difficult complex integrals. Some common techniques include contour integration, substitution, and the use of complex variables and residues. It is important to have a strong understanding of complex analysis and calculus in order to effectively solve complex integrals.

4. What are some real-world applications of difficult complex integrals?

Difficult complex integrals have a wide range of applications in various fields of science and engineering. They are commonly used in physics, electrical engineering, and signal processing to solve problems related to waves, circuits, and vibrations. In mathematics, complex integrals are also used to calculate areas and volumes of complex shapes.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving difficult complex integrals?

Improving your skills in solving difficult complex integrals requires practice and a solid understanding of complex analysis and calculus. It is also important to familiarize yourself with different techniques and methods for solving complex integrals, and to work on challenging problems to improve your problem-solving skills.