Integral kernel in vacuum wave functional

In summary, the conversation discusses a exercise in a book about quantum effects in gravity. The vacuum wave functional and its integral are defined, and the required kernel is determined. However, the exercise is formulated in an unusual way and the kernel is found to be divergent. The conversation ends with a request for help with the calculations.
ShayanJ
Insights Author
Gold Member
I'm trying to solve the exercise below in a book I'm reading.
The vacuum wave functional (1.9)(## \Psi[\phi]\propto \exp[- \frac 1 2 \int d^3 \mathbf k|\phi_{\mathbf k}|^2 \omega_k]##) contains the integral

## I \equiv \int d^3\mathbf k |\phi_{\mathbf k}|^2 \sqrt{k^2+m^2} ##,

where##\phi_{\mathbf k}## are defined in equation (1.3)(##\phi(\mathbf x,t)=\int \frac{d^3 \mathbf k}{(2\pi)^{\frac 3 2}} e^{i\mathbf k\cdot \mathbf x} \phi_{\mathbf k}(t)##). This integral can be expressed directly in terms of the function ##\phi(\mathbf x) ##,

## I=\int d^3\mathbf x d^3 \mathbf y \phi(\mathbf x) K(\mathbf x,\mathbf y) \phi(\mathbf y) ##.

Determine the required kernel ##K(\mathbf x,\mathbf y) ##.
I inverted equation 1.3 to get ## \phi_{\mathbf k}(t)=\int \frac{e^{-i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf x}}{(2\pi)^{\frac 3 2}} \phi(\mathbf x,t) d^3 \mathbf x ##. Then I put it in I to get:
## I=\int \int d^3 \mathbf x d^3 \mathbf y \phi(\mathbf x,t)\left[ \int \frac{d^3 \mathbf k}{(2\pi)^3} \sqrt{k^2+m^2} e^{i(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\cdot \mathbf k} \right]\phi^*(\mathbf y,t)##.
So it seems that I found the kernel but there are two problems:
1) I'm sure that one of the fields should be a complex conjugate but in the form suggested by the exercise, no one of them is!
2) The kernel is a divergent integral, both its real and imaginary parts diverge. Just try wolframalpha.com to see this.

Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not clear to me, where this functional should be useful. Could you provide the context, where it is defined?

vanhees71 said:
It's not clear to me, where this functional should be useful. Could you provide the context, where it is defined?
Its not going to be used in anything, at least not in the parts of the book that I've read.(I'm on chapter 2 now which is a reminder of classical and quantum mechanics.)
The exercise is in the chapter 1 of the book "Introduction to Quantum Effects in Gravity" By Mukhanov and Winitzki after the discussion about ground state fluctuations.

Shyan said:
I'm trying to solve the exercise below in a book I'm reading.

I inverted equation 1.3 to get ## \phi_{\mathbf k}(t)=\int \frac{e^{-i \mathbf k \cdot \mathbf x}}{(2\pi)^{\frac 3 2}} \phi(\mathbf x,t) d^3 \mathbf x ##. Then I put it in I to get:
## I=\int \int d^3 \mathbf x d^3 \mathbf y \phi(\mathbf x,t)\left[ \int \frac{d^3 \mathbf k}{(2\pi)^3} \sqrt{k^2+m^2} e^{i(\mathbf y-\mathbf x)\cdot \mathbf k} \right]\phi^*(\mathbf y,t)##.
It seems to me the whole exercise is formulated up-side-down. Usually, you want to solve the Schrodinger functional equation, [tex]i \partial_{t} \Psi [\phi , t] = \int d^{3} x \mathcal{H} \left( \phi (\vec{x}) , \pi ( \vec{x}) ; t \right) \Psi [\phi , t]. \ \ \ \ (1) [/tex] If the Hamiltonian has no explicit time dependence, we look for solution to the energy eigen-functional equation [tex]\int d^{3} x \mathcal{H} ( \phi , \pi ) \Psi [\phi] = E \Psi[\phi] . \ \ \ \ \ (2)[/tex] Since we are interested in the vacuum wavefunctional, we may assume that [itex]\Psi_{0}[\phi][/itex] is positive everywhere and substitute [itex]\Psi_{0}[\phi] = N \exp ( - I[\phi] )[/itex] in Eq(2). Then, power counting suggests a general form for the functional [itex]I[\phi][/itex] which in your case (i.e., free real scalar field) must be quadratic in the field, [tex]I[\phi] = \int d^{3} x \ d^{3} y \ \phi ( \vec{x} ) K ( \vec{x} , \vec{y} ) \phi ( \vec{y} ) . \ \ \ \ (3)[/tex] Now, for massless real scalar, the unknown functional [itex]I[\phi][/itex] satisfies the following equation [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int d^{3} x \left[ \frac{\delta^{2} I[\phi]}{\delta \phi^{2} (\vec{x})} - \left( \frac{\delta I[\phi]}{\delta \phi (\vec{x})}\right)^{2} \right] = E_{0} - \frac{1}{2} \int d^{3} x \phi ( \vec{x} ) (- \nabla^{2}) \phi (\vec{x}) . \ \ \ (4)[/tex] If we insert (3) back into (4) and equate equal-power terms on both sides, we find [tex]E_{0} = \frac{1}{2} \int d^{3} x \frac{\delta^{2} I[\phi]}{\delta \phi^{2} (\vec{x})} = \int d^{3} x \ K( \vec{x} , \vec{x} ) , \ \ \ \ (5)[/tex] [tex]\int d^{3}x \ d^{3}y \ d^{3}z \ \phi(\vec{z}) K( \vec{z} , \vec{x}) K ( \vec{x} , \vec{y} ) \phi(\vec{y}) = \frac{1}{4} \int d^{3}x \ \phi(\vec{x}) (- \nabla^{2}) \phi(\vec{x}) .[/tex] Thus [tex]\int d^{3} x \ K( \vec{z} , \vec{x}) K ( \vec{x} , \vec{y} ) = - \frac{1}{4} \nabla^{2} \delta^{3} (\vec{z} - \vec{y}) . \ \ (6)[/tex]
Since the right-hand depends only on [itex]\vec{z} - \vec{y}[/itex], we may assume that [itex]K[/itex] is translational invariant and Fourier transform it as [tex]K ( \vec{x} , \vec{y} ) = \int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \bar{K} (\vec{k}) \ e^{i \vec{k} \cdot (\vec{x} - \vec{y})} .[/tex] Plugging this in (6), we find [itex]\bar{K} (\vec{k}) = \sqrt{\vec{k} \cdot \vec{k}} / 2 = \omega (\vec{k}) / 2[/itex]. Therefore, your kernel is [tex]K (\vec{x} , \vec{y}) = \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^{3}k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \ \omega (\vec{k}) \ e^{i \vec{k} \cdot (\vec{x} - \vec{y})} .[/tex]
1) I'm sure that one of the fields should be a complex conjugate but in the form suggested by the exercise, no one of them is!
I suppose they want you to keep track of the Fourier component which for real scalar field is [itex]\phi^{*}_{k} = \phi_{- k}[/itex]. So the vacuum wave functional is actually [tex]\Psi_{0}[\phi] = N \exp \left( - \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{d^{3} k}{(2 \pi)^{3}} \ \omega (\vec{k}) \phi (\vec{k}) \phi( - \vec{k}) \right) .[/tex]

2) The kernel is a divergent integral, both its real and imaginary parts diverge. Just try wolframalpha.com to see this.

Can anybody help me on this?
Thanks

Of course it is divergent. What is the first divergent quantity you encounter in QFT? Just calculate the ground state energy from (5). It is the sum of zero point energies of all of the field oscillators [tex]E_{0} = \frac{1}{2} \int d^{3}k \ \omega (\vec{k}) \delta^{3} (0) .[/tex]

Sam

Likes ShayanJ
Nice reply, Thank you very much Sam!

But I have three problems:

1) I suppose you got equation 4 from putting ## \Psi_0[\phi]=N \exp(-I[\phi]) ## in equation 2. But I can't do it. Could you give me only a plan of the way for its calculation? Thanks again.

2) After inserting ## K(\vec x, \vec x) ## in 5 to calculate ## E_0##, How did you get the delta? It seems strange to me because to get the delta, we need to integrate w.r.t. k but you got the delta before that!

Thanks again.

Last edited:
For massless real scalar field, the Hamiltonian operator is given by [tex]H = \frac{1}{2} \int d^{3} x \left( \left( \hat{\pi} ( t , x ) \right)^{2} + \left( \nabla \hat{\phi}( t , x ) \right)^{2} \right) .[/tex] In the Schrodinger picture, the operators [itex]( \hat{\phi} , \hat{\pi} )[/itex] are time independent. So, in the coordinate (Schroginger) representation we have [tex]\hat{\phi} (0 , \vec{x}) | \phi \rangle = \phi ( \vec{x} ) | \phi \rangle , \ \ \hat{\pi} (0 , \vec{x}) = - i \frac{\delta}{\delta \phi (\vec{x})} ,[/tex] and [tex]\Psi [\phi , t] = \langle \phi | \Psi ( t ) \rangle ,[/tex]where [itex]|\phi \rangle[/itex] is the coordinate basis. In the coordinate representation, the Hamiltonian is diagonal [tex]\langle \phi | H | \bar{\phi} \rangle = \delta (\phi - \bar{\phi}) \ H (\phi (x) , \delta / \delta \phi (x)) .[/tex] So the Schrodinger equation for the state vector [itex]|\Psi (t)\rangle[/itex] becomes functional differential equation[tex]i \partial_{t} \Psi[\phi , t] = \int (D\bar{\phi})\ \langle \phi | H | \bar{\phi}\rangle \langle \bar{\phi}| \Psi (t) \rangle = H( \phi , \delta / \delta \phi ) \Psi[\phi , t].[/tex] Writing [tex]\Psi [ \phi , t] = \Psi[\phi] e^{- i E t} ,[/tex] we obtain the time-independent Schrodinger equation [tex]\frac{1}{2} \int d^{3}x \left( - \frac{\delta^{2}}{\delta \phi^{2}(\vec{x})} + \vec{\nabla} \phi(\vec{x}) \cdot \vec{\nabla} \phi(\vec{x}) \right) \Psi[\phi] = E\Psi[\phi] .[/tex] Integrating the second term by parts, we find [tex]- \frac{1}{2} \int d^{3}x \frac{\delta^{2} \Psi[\phi]}{\delta \phi^{2}(\vec{x})} = \left( E + \frac{1}{2} \int d^3 x \ \phi(\vec{x}) \nabla^{2} \phi(\vec{x}) \right) \Psi[\phi] .[/tex] Okay, now put [itex]\Psi_{0}[\phi] = N \exp( - I[\phi])[/itex] and use the chain rule to obtain [tex]\frac{\delta^{2}\Psi_{0}}{\delta \phi^{2}} = \frac{\partial^{2} \Psi_{0}}{\partial I^{2}} \left( \frac{\delta I}{\delta \phi} \right)^{2} + \frac{\partial \Psi_{0}}{\partial I} \frac{\delta^{2}I}{\delta \phi^{2}} .[/tex]
[tex](2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3} (q) = \int d^{3}x \ e^{ i \vec{q} \cdot \vec{x}} .[/tex] So [tex](2 \pi)^{3} \delta^{3} (0) = \int d^{3}x .[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes ShayanJ
Its always a great pleasure(and of course unbelievably helpful) to receive replies from you Sam. Thanks a lot.

1. What is the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional?

The integral kernel in vacuum wave functional refers to a mathematical function that describes the relationship between the wave function and the vacuum state in quantum field theory. It is used to calculate the amplitude of a particle to transition from one state to another, taking into account the effects of the vacuum state.

2. How is the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional used in scientific research?

The integral kernel in vacuum wave functional is used in various fields of physics, such as particle physics and quantum mechanics, to study the behavior of particles in vacuum. It is also used in theoretical calculations and simulations to predict the properties of particles and their interactions with the vacuum state.

3. What is the significance of the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional?

The integral kernel in vacuum wave functional plays a critical role in understanding the behavior of particles in vacuum and their interactions with the vacuum state. It helps scientists to make accurate predictions and calculations in various areas of physics, ranging from quantum mechanics to cosmology.

4. How is the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional related to the concept of vacuum fluctuations?

Vacuum fluctuations, also known as virtual particles, are particles that spontaneously appear and disappear in the vacuum state. The integral kernel in vacuum wave functional takes into account the effects of these fluctuations, allowing scientists to better understand the properties and behavior of particles in the vacuum state.

5. Can the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional be experimentally verified?

Although the effects of the integral kernel in vacuum wave functional can be indirectly observed through experiments, it is not possible to directly measure or verify the function itself. However, the predictions and calculations made using the integral kernel have been confirmed through various experiments, providing support for its validity and usefulness in scientific research.