Difficult problem involving friction and torque

In summary, the problem involves a block attached to a cord on an inclined plane, with the other end of the cord wrapped around a cylinder resting in a depression at the top of the plane. The aim is to determine the speed of the block after it has traveled 1.40 m along the plane, assuming a coefficient of friction of μ = 3.00×10^-2. By analyzing the forces on the block and the cylinder, equations can be set up to solve for the speed of the block.
tjkubo

Homework Statement

A cord connected at one end to a block which can slide on an inclined plane has its other end wrapped around a cylinder resting in a depression at the top of the plane as shown in the figure:
http://img35.imageshack.us/img35/6743/giancolich10p098.jpg
Determine the speed of the block after it has traveled 1.40 m along the plane, starting from rest.

Assume the coefficient of friction between all surfaces is μ = 3.00×10^-2. [Hint: First determine the normal force on the cylinder, and make any reasonable assumptions needed.]

Homework Equations

Newton's second law in linear and angular form

The Attempt at a Solution

The forces on the block are fairly obvious: tension T, friction f, weight mg, and normal F.
However, I am not so sure about the forces on the cylinder. First there is T and Mg. I know there is a normal force N, but I wasn't sure of the direction so I drew it pointing to the upper left, an angle θ above the horizontal. I also was not sure about the frictional force. Is it perpendicular to N? If so, I got the following 4 equations in 4 unknowns:

[tex]
\]
\\
-Ncos\theta+Tcos27+\mu Nsin\theta=0 \\

\mu Ncos\theta+Nsin\theta-Tsin27-Mg=0 \\

T-f=.5Ma \\

-T-mg cos27+mg sin27=ma
\[
[/tex]

I can't seem to get the right answer from these though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
From the diagram, I get the impression that the cylinder is not actually touching the triangle and is instead attached to a pivot point (which I will assume frictionless).

If this is the case, the forces on the block are the gravitational force, kinetic friction force, tension force, and normal force. The only force on the cylinder is the tension force.

You can use these to find that:
[tex]\Sigma F = ma = mg \sin \theta - T - \mu_k N[/tex]
and
[tex]\Sigma \tau = I\alpha = R \times T[/tex]

Any suggestions on where I might be going wrong?

I would first commend the student for their attempt at solving the problem and for recognizing that the forces on the block are more straightforward than those on the cylinder. I would also suggest that they double check their equations and make sure they are using the correct angles and signs for each force. It may also be helpful to draw a free body diagram for the cylinder to better visualize the forces acting on it. Additionally, I would remind the student to always make reasonable assumptions when necessary and to check their final answer to see if it makes sense (e.g. is the speed of the block realistic?). If they are still having trouble, I would suggest seeking help from a peer, TA, or professor.

1. What is friction and why is it important in physics?

Friction is a force that occurs when two surfaces come into contact with each other and resist motion. It is important in physics because it affects the motion of objects and is essential for understanding how forces work in everyday situations.

2. How does friction affect torque?

Friction can affect torque by creating a force that opposes the rotational motion of an object. This can cause the object to slow down or stop rotating, depending on the magnitude of the frictional force.

3. What is the difference between static and kinetic friction?

Static friction occurs when two surfaces are at rest relative to each other, while kinetic friction occurs when there is relative motion between the two surfaces. The force of static friction is typically greater than the force of kinetic friction.

4. How can friction and torque be applied to real-world problems?

Friction and torque are applied in many real-world problems, such as designing machines and vehicles, understanding the motion of objects on inclines or curves, and calculating the force needed to move objects. They are also important in engineering and construction to ensure the stability and safety of structures.

5. How can friction and torque be reduced in a system?

Friction and torque can be reduced by using lubricants, such as oil or grease, between two surfaces to reduce the amount of contact and friction. In some cases, adding ball bearings or using smoother surfaces can also help to reduce friction and torque in a system.