Difficult relative velocity question involving boats

In summary: When you start the problem, you are given the equation for the velocity of object 1 relative to object 3. You use this equation to calculate the velocity of object 2 relative to object 1. You use this information to calculate the speed of the passenger relative to the shore.
carrbaseball
Here is the question...Two boats are heading away from shore. Boat 1 heads due north at a speed of 3 m/s relative to the shore. Relative to Boat 1, Boat 2 is moving 40° north of east at a speed of 1.7 m/s. A passenger on Boat 2 walks due east across the deck at a speed of 1.1 m/s relative to Boat 2. What is the speed of the passenger relative to the shore?

This is confusing me with the numerous relativities.
I am using the equation V(13)= V(12)+V(23)
where V(13) is the velocity of object 1 relative to object 3.
Im not sure how to get this problem started.
?

Physics news on Phys.org
Draw your vectors.

[tex]\vec{v}_{P, S} = \vec{v}_{P, B2} + \vec{v}_{B2, S}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{B2, S} = \vec{v}_{B2, B1} + \vec{v}_{B1, S}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}_{P, S} = \vec{v}_{P, B2} + \vec{v}_{B2, B1} + \vec{v}_{B1, S}[/tex]

P - passenger ; S - shore; B1, B2 - boats 1 and 2.

Ok, ihave drawn up my vectors and I am trying to plug in my values. I hate to sound stupid, but I'm lost in this process.

What's important here is to understand the concept of relative frames. There is always a stationary observer who observes his reference to have zero velocity, if you will, while the other two are either moving towards or away at some rate. You can't just use equations without knowing where they come from.

So, picture yourself at some intersection where you are pointing north. Some guy on a motorcycle goes away from you. Now there is the guy on the motorcycle who sees you moving south, and now a runner ahead of him crossing the street to some store. Okay, now take a break and figure out what is happening before you try to digest the last piece of information. You see a motorcycle moving away from you, and another man running really fast away from him because he is about to get creamed by traffic. So now, put the last piece in. I'll let you do this yourself and see if you get the idea.

Just take it slow, and it isn't all that tough. Draw a huge picture so that you can use vector lengths to aid your thought.

You just need to keep on "expanding" the relative formula until you can calculate all the required vectors. When you run into a vector you do not have in terms of given information set up a new formula for its calculation the same way. In the end you need to work your way backwards towards the first formula once you have all the vectors in terms of known vectors.

Show us how you progress with the problem.

1. How do you solve a difficult relative velocity question involving boats?

To solve a difficult relative velocity question involving boats, you need to understand the concept of relative velocity, which is the velocity of an object in relation to another. Then, you need to break down the problem into smaller parts and apply the appropriate formulas, such as the law of cosines and the Pythagorean theorem, to calculate the relative velocity of each boat.

2. What is the difference between absolute and relative velocity?

Absolute velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to a fixed point, while relative velocity is the velocity of an object in relation to another moving object. In the case of boats, absolute velocity would be the speed of each boat individually, while relative velocity would be the speed of one boat in relation to the other.

3. How does the direction of the boats affect the relative velocity?

The direction of the boats affects the relative velocity because it determines the angle at which the two boats are approaching each other. This angle is crucial in calculating the relative velocity using the law of cosines. The direction also affects the sign of the relative velocity, indicating whether the boats are moving towards or away from each other.

4. Can you use the same formula to solve all difficult relative velocity questions involving boats?

No, the formula used to solve difficult relative velocity questions involving boats may vary depending on the specific scenario. For example, if the boats are moving at right angles to each other, the Pythagorean theorem can be used to calculate the relative velocity. However, if the boats are moving at an angle, the law of cosines is needed to calculate the relative velocity.

5. How can I check if my answer to a difficult relative velocity question involving boats is correct?

You can check your answer by plugging in the values you calculated into the original relative velocity formula and seeing if it matches the given information. You can also use a calculator or online tool to double-check your calculations. Additionally, it's helpful to draw a diagram to visualize the scenario and check if your answer makes sense in relation to the boats' movements.