Diffraction grating with combination light

In summary, when green and orange light pass through a diffraction grating with 6000 lines/cm, the appearance of the fringe at m = 0 will be a combination of green and orange light, while the other fringes will be either green or orange. With one wavelength, the intensities of all fringes are equal, but with two or more wavelengths, the central maximum will have a higher intensity due to the superposition principle. However, the relative intensities of the green and orange light are unknown.
Hapablap
Green and orange light pass through a diffraction grating that contains 6000 lines/cm. Compare the appearance of the fringe at m = 0 with all the others.

So far I've only dealt with light with one wavelength, so I just want to make sure I have the right thought process here for two wavelengths.

Where m = 0 there is no diffraction, so we should see a combination of green and orange light there, while the other fringes will be either green or orange. With one wavelength, the intensity of all of the fringes is the same (if I'm not mistaken). With two wavelengths, the central maximum will have twice the intensity as the others, because it have 2 wavelengths striking it instead of 1. Then with 3 wavelengths, the central maximum will have three times the intensity, and so on.

Do I have the right idea here?

Physics news on Phys.org
That's the right way to go - it's the superposition principle.
You have not been told the relative intensities of the green and orange light though.

Likes 1 person

FAQ: Diffraction grating with combination light

1. What is a diffraction grating with combination light?

A diffraction grating with combination light is a device that uses a series of closely spaced parallel lines or slits to separate incoming light into its component wavelengths. This allows for the analysis of the spectral composition of the light.

2. How does a diffraction grating with combination light work?

A diffraction grating with combination light works by using the principle of diffraction, where the closely spaced lines or slits cause interference patterns when light passes through them. This results in a separation of the light into its component wavelengths, which can then be measured and analyzed.

3. What are the applications of a diffraction grating with combination light?

A diffraction grating with combination light has various applications in fields such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and telecommunications. It is used to analyze the composition of light sources, measure the wavelengths of light, and even in the production of holographic images.

4. How is a diffraction grating with combination light different from a prism?

A diffraction grating with combination light differs from a prism in that it uses diffraction to separate light, while a prism uses refraction. This means that a diffraction grating can achieve a higher resolution and separate light into more distinct wavelengths compared to a prism.

5. Can a diffraction grating with combination light be used for visible light only?

No, a diffraction grating with combination light can be used to separate and analyze light in a wide range of wavelengths, including infrared and ultraviolet light. This makes it a useful tool in various fields of science and technology.

Back