Dimension of the solution space for Ax=0

In summary, the dimension of the solution space of Ax=0, where A=1 2 5 -1 3 1 is 1. This can be found by directly solving the equations or using the fact that the rank of A is 2 and the nullity is equal to the difference between the dimension of the domain and range spaces.
eyehategod
Find the dimension of the solution space of Ax=0, where
A=1 2 5
-1 3 1

is the rank(A)=2
so the nullity(A)=2?
is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
If A is a linear transformation from vector space U to vector space V, then range(A)+ nullity(A)= dimension of U. Here, A is from R3 to R2. Yes, the rank of A is 2. No, the nullity of A is not 2 also.

You could just as well do this directly: if x+ 2y+ 5z= 0 and -x+ 2y+ z= 0, then, adding the equations, you must also have 4y+ 6z= 0 or z= (2/3)y. You can pick y to be anything you like and then calculate both x and z. What does that tell you about the nullity?

so the nullity(A)=1?

Read HallsofIvy's post again... if rank(A)=2, and rank(A)+nullity(A)=2, what does nullity(A) equal?

so your saying n=2? i thought it was 3. n is always the number of rows?

LastScan-1.jpg

//the last blury part is "Furthermore, rank of the matrix is 2,"

This is an example from my book. When I reduce A i get
1 0 13/5
0 1 6/5so according to the example in the book
my rank would be 2
and nullity would be 1
with n=3
Is this wrong?

Yes, that is correct.

just to make sure, what Office_Shredder said was wrong?

Yes, I believe he confused the dimension of the domain and range spaces.

At any rate, as I also pointed out, you could find the nullity directly:
" if x+ 2y+ 5z= 0 and -x+ 2y+ z= 0, then, adding the equations, you must also have 4y+ 6z= 0 or z= (2/3)y. You can pick y to be anything you like and then calculate both x and z. "

Since you can pick one number arbitrarily, the kernel has dimension 1.

great thanks [solved]

I apologize, I can't read :/

Related to Dimension of the solution space for Ax=0

1. What is the "dimension" of a solution space?

The dimension of a solution space refers to the number of independent variables or parameters that are required to describe a solution. It is the minimum number of variables needed to uniquely specify a particular solution.

2. How is the dimension of a solution space determined?

The dimension of a solution space is determined by the number of equations and variables present in a system. It can be calculated using techniques such as Gaussian elimination or by analyzing the rank of a matrix representing the system of equations.

3. Can a solution space have a dimension of zero?

Yes, a solution space can have a dimension of zero. This means that there are no independent variables or parameters required to describe the solution, and it is a single point or value.

4. How does the dimension of a solution space affect the number of solutions?

The dimension of a solution space is directly related to the number of solutions. A higher dimension typically means more solutions, while a lower dimension means fewer solutions or even no solutions in some cases.

5. Can the dimension of a solution space change?

Yes, the dimension of a solution space can change depending on the system or equations being analyzed. It can also change as more information or constraints are added to the system, which may reduce the number of independent variables needed to describe a solution.