What is the relationship between period and mass in a simple pendulum?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of dimensional analysis to find the relationship between the period of oscillation of a simple pendulum (T) and the mass of the particle (M), length of the string (L), and acceleration due to gravity (g). It is suggested that T is proportional to the product of powers of these variables. Using the fundamental dimensions of length (L), mass (M), and time (T), it is possible to derive the relationship T = K (L/g)^1/2. The conversation also references a helpful Wikipedia page and provides an example of how to use dimensional analysis to solve for T.
Skeptik101
1. A simple pendulum consists of a light inextensible string AB with length L, with the end A fixed, and a perticle of mass M attatched to B. The pendulum oscillates with period T.

It is suggested that T is proportional to the product of powers of M, L and g. Use dimensional analysis to find this relationship.

2. T = K (l/g)1/2

3. ?? Dont know where to start on this one. some sort of substitution to find the variables, but i don't know how.

Physics news on Phys.org
also, i am presuming that little g is the surface gravity, ie, 9.81. I think that's what that represents, but i better check that out first.

Yes, g stands for the acceleration due to gravity. What are its dimension?

g is in N/Kg i think? is that what you mean by its dimension?

Those are units. By dimensions I mean something independent of particular units. The fundamental dimensions are length (L), mass (M), and time (T). So, how would you express the dimension of g in terms of these quantities?

Here's a wiki page that might help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis"

Last edited by a moderator:
Doc Al said:
Here's a wiki page that might help you: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dimensional_analysis"

Yep, sure did help, they pretty much has this exact question as an example on that page;

What is the period of oscillation T of a mass m attached to an ideal linear spring with spring constant k suspended in gravity of strength g? The four quantities have the following dimensions: T [T]; m [M]; k[M / T2]; and g[L / T2]. From these we can form only one dimensionless product of powers of our chosen variables, G1 = T2k / m. The dimensionless product of powers of variables is sometimes referred to as a dimensionless group of variables, but the group, G1, referred to means "collection" rather than mathematical group.

so, i basically substitiute dimensions, equate indices and solve.

T = kma Lb gc => T = Ma Lb (LT-2)c

a = 0

-2c = 1 => c = 0.5

b + c = 0 => b = 0.5,

...so T = K (L/G)1/2

I think that's right, cheers. :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical technique used to convert between different units of measurement. It involves using the dimensions of physical quantities (such as length, time, and mass) to create equations that can be used to convert from one unit to another.

2. Why is dimensional analysis important in science?

Dimensional analysis is important in science because it allows for accurate and consistent measurements and calculations. It helps scientists to understand the relationships between different physical quantities and to ensure that their data and results are reliable.

3. How is dimensional analysis used in chemistry?

In chemistry, dimensional analysis is used to convert between different units of measurement for quantities such as mass, volume, and concentration. It is also used to check the accuracy of experimental data and to solve problems involving stoichiometry and reaction rates.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used for non-physical quantities?

Yes, dimensional analysis can also be used for non-physical quantities, such as currency or energy. In these cases, the dimensions of the quantity may not be as straightforward as length or time, but the principles of dimensional analysis still apply.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis?

Some common mistakes to avoid when using dimensional analysis include using incorrect conversion factors, not paying attention to the units during calculations, and ignoring significant figures. It is important to double-check all conversions and calculations to ensure accuracy.