1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Dimensional analysis

1. Nov 22, 2007 #1
    1. A simple pendulum consists of a light inextensible string AB with length L, with the end A fixed, and a perticle of mass M attatched to B. The pendulum oscillates with period T.

It is suggested that T is proportional to the product of powers of M, L and g. Use dimensional analysis to find this relationship.

2. T = K (l/g)1/2

3. ?? Dont know where to start on this one. some sort of substitution to find the variables, but i dont know how.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 22, 2007 #2
    also, i am presuming that little g is the surface gravity, ie, 9.81. I think thats what that represents, but i better check that out first.
  4. Nov 22, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, g stands for the acceleration due to gravity. What are its dimension?
  5. Nov 22, 2007 #4
    g is in N/Kg i think? is that what you mean by its dimension?
  6. Nov 22, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Those are units. By dimensions I mean something independent of particular units. The fundamental dimensions are length (L), mass (M), and time (T). So, how would you express the dimension of g in terms of these quantities?

Here's a wiki page that might help you: Dimensional analysis
  7. Nov 22, 2007 #6
    Yep, sure did help, they pretty much has this exact question as an example on that page;

so, i basically substitiute dimensions, equate indices and solve.

T = kma Lb gc => T = Ma Lb (LT-2)c

a = 0

-2c = 1 => c = 0.5

b + c = 0 => b = 0.5,

...so T = K (L/G)1/2

I think thats right, cheers. :smile:
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?