Diode paralell with a resistor problem.

In summary, my teacher asked us a question about how a diode works. He explained that if you swap the battery round, you alter the bias.
lionely
Today my teacher asked us a question

2jdh01j.png

Basically he said a match box was taped shut and a current was passed through the circuit a reading came up on the Ammeter, then the cell was switched around, and a current ran through the circuit but the Ammeter read a smaller reading than before. Why?

Physics news on Phys.org
lionely said:
Today my teacher asked us a question

2jdh01j.png

Basically he said a match box was taped shut and a current was passed through the circuit a reading came up on the Ammeter, then the cell was switched around, and a current ran through the circuit but the Ammeter read a smaller reading than before. Why?

A lower current would indicate a higher resistance. What do you know about the effective resistance of a diode in forward bias and reverse bias.

Reverse bias resistance higher umm the thing is I know all of that stuff. But I forgot to say My teacher said we don't know what's in the box... after sometime of guessing he told us that it was a diode and resistor in parallel.

lionely said:
Reverse bias resistance higher umm the thing is I know all of that stuff. But I forgot to say My teacher said we don't know what's in the box... after sometime of guessing he told us that it was a diode and resistor in parallel.

Lets suppose that a diode has a resistance of 1Ω in forward bias, and 100Ω in reverse bias [you can investigate more reasonable figures - I just made them up]

If the diode was in parallel with a 100Ω resistor you can calculate the effective resistance.

When both are 100Ω we get 50Ω
When 1 is 100Ω and the other only 1Ω we know the effective resistance is < 1Ω
[when resistors are in parallel, the effective resistance is always less than the smallest resistor involved]

< 1Ω would allow a much higher current that 50Ω.

Oh, I understand. But I'm not really sure how a diode works, in the question it said only the cell was altered and not like the position of the match box so the diode inside would always be forward bias?

lionely said:
Oh, I understand. But I'm not really sure how a diode works, in the question it said only the cell was altered and not like the position of the match box so the diode inside would always be forward bias?

Forward and reverse bias refers to "which end" is connected to which terminal of the power supply.

If you swap the battery round, you alter the bias!

OH! Sorry I didn't know I didn't do my homework on this part of electricity so I don't know it well :( Sorry. I need to do it but thank you so much this made it so much clearer!

1. What is a diode parallel with a resistor problem?

A diode parallel with a resistor problem refers to a circuit in which a diode and a resistor are connected in parallel, with both components sharing the same two end points. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronics to regulate voltage and control current flow.

2. What is the purpose of using a diode parallel with a resistor?

The purpose of using a diode parallel with a resistor is to create a circuit that allows current to flow in both directions while controlling the amount of voltage and current. This type of circuit is often used to protect sensitive components from excessive voltage and to regulate the amount of current flowing through a circuit.

3. How does a diode parallel with a resistor work?

In a diode parallel with a resistor circuit, the diode acts as a one-way valve, allowing current to flow in only one direction. The resistor, on the other hand, limits the amount of current that can flow through the circuit. Together, they regulate the flow of current and voltage in the circuit.

4. What are the potential problems with a diode parallel with a resistor circuit?

One potential problem with this type of circuit is that the diode may become damaged if the voltage and current exceed its limits. Additionally, if the resistor is not properly sized, it may not effectively control the flow of current and voltage, causing other components to be damaged or malfunction.

5. How can I troubleshoot a diode parallel with a resistor problem?

To troubleshoot a diode parallel with a resistor problem, you can use a multimeter to measure the voltage and current at various points in the circuit. This can help identify any faulty components or incorrect values. It is also important to double check the wiring and connections to ensure they are correct and secure.