Diodes and EE - Grasping the Basics

• Thread starter ness9660
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Diodes
In summary: D2 will probably have about 1/10 of the forward current that D3 does. In summary, the student is struggling to understand how to determine forward and reverse bias in diodes. They have been able to grasp simple circuits with one voltage source, one diode, and one resistor by assuming a diode state and solving for voltage. However, when faced with a more complex circuit with multiple diodes, they struggle to determine the bias of each diode. The solution provided to them also confuses them, as they are unsure how it was determined. The expert explains that the best way to approach these circuits is to sketch the diode V-I plot and determine which diode is on the hardest
ness9660
Usually I can pick up most concepts pretty quickly, but EE just makes me feel dumb.

Ive managed to grasp most concepts we have covered this semester, except one, diodes. I really don't understand how to determine forward or reverse bias. For example:

http://img276.imageshack.us/img276/7519/diode2jw.gif

Now, I know D1 and D2 are in reverse bias, and D3 is forward biases, so that Vout=-5 + .6 = -4.4V.

But I don't understand how any of that was determined. I can manage, sometimes, to correctly complete simple circuits that have one Voltage source, one diode and one resistor. For those simple ones I use the method of assuming a diode state and solving for voltage, but this situation above baffles me.

Is there some simple trick that I am missing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
ness9660 said:
Usually I can pick up most concepts pretty quickly, but EE just makes me feel dumb.

Ive managed to grasp most concepts we have covered this semester, except one, diodes. I really don't understand how to determine forward or reverse bias.

Now, I know D1 and D2 are in reverse bias, and D3 is forward biases, so that Vout=-5 + .6 = -4.4V.

But I don't understand how any of that was determined. I can manage, sometimes, to correctly complete simple circuits that have one Voltage source, one diode and one resistor. For those simple ones I use the method of assuming a diode state and solving for voltage, but this situation above baffles me.
Are you sure about that image? D2 and D3 have the same bias, i.e. both have -5 V and share a common node, according to the image.

See - http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/Hbase/solids/diod.html

http://www.allaboutcircuits.com/vol_3/chpt_3/1.html

Last edited:
Is there some simple trick that I am missing?

Gererally: to forward bias a diode, the anode must be more positive than the cathode or LESS NEGATIVE.
to reverse bias a diode, the anode must be less positive than the cathode or MORE NEGATIVE.

Are the v[itex]_\gamma[/itex]'s given for D2 and D3?

Astronuc said:
Are the v[itex]_\gamma[/itex]'s given for D2 and D3?

Yeah, .7v for D2 and .6v for D3. .7V for D1 also

The solution is mostly correct, and only D3 is forward biased enough to turn it on hard. However, D2 is on a little bit, so it's not correct to say that D2 is "reverse biased". A diode is only reverse biased if the voltage of the cathode is higher than the voltage of the anode.

The best way to think about circuits like this is to sketch the diode V-I plot from the diode equation. Different values of Is will give you different forward voltages versus current (and temperature). The diode V-I plot has Id = -Is for reverse bias (where Va-Vk < 0), it goes through the point 0,0, and rises up to the right. Va-Vk is the horizontal axis, and Id is the vertical axis. Depending on the diode and temperature, you will get numbers in the 0.5V to 0.75V range for the forward voltage drop at moderate forward currents.

So in the original question, do as the solution suggests and figure out which diode is on the hardest first (taking the most A-K current). Since both D2 and D3 are going to clamp Vout near -5V, D1 has its K near 0V and its anode near -4.4V, so it is reverse biased and only has Is flowing through it from K-A. Then look at D2 and D3 -- D3 is said to have the lower forward voltage drop, so it will be taking the majority of the current and clamping Vout near -4.4V. D2 is therefore at the spot on its diode V-I plot where V=0.6V, and it will have a smaller positive current flowing through it compared to D3, but D2 is definitely not off or reverse biased. You can work out the numbers from the diode equation, but D2 will probably have about 1/10 of the forward current that D3 does.

Makes more sense now?

Last edited:
berkeman said:
The solution is mostly correct, and only D3 is forward biased enough to turn it on hard. However, D2 is on a little bit, so it's not correct to say that D2 is "reverse biased". A diode is only reverse biased if the voltage of the cathode is higher than the voltage of the anode.

The best way to think about circuits like this is to sketch the diode V-I plot from the diode equation. Different values of Is will give you different forward voltages versus current (and temperature). The diode V-I plot has Id = -Is for reverse bias (where Va-Vk < 0), it goes through the point 0,0, and rises up to the right. Va-Vk is the horizontal axis, and Id is the vertical axis. Depending on the diode and temperature, you will get numbers in the 0.5V to 0.75V range for the forward voltage drop at moderate forward currents.

So in the original question, do as the solution suggests and figure out which diode is on the hardest first (taking the most A-K current). Since both D2 and D3 are going to clamp Vout near -5V, D1 has its K near 0V and its anode near -4.4V, so it is reverse biased and only has Is flowing through it from K-A. Then look at D2 and D3 -- D3 is said to have the lower forward voltage drop, so it will be taking the majority of the current and clamping Vout near -4.4V. D2 is therefore at the spot on its diode V-I plot where V=0.6V, and it will have a smaller positive current flowing through it compared to D3, but D2 is definitely not off or reverse biased. You can work out the numbers from the diode equation, but D2 will probably have about 1/10 of the forward current that D3 does.

Makes more sense now?

Thanks, it makes much more sense now.

Just testing latex below here:

[itex]
theta=(s&pi;x)/&lambda;
[/itex]

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is an electronic component that allows electrical current to flow in only one direction. It is made of a semiconductor material and has two terminals - an anode and a cathode. When a positive voltage is applied to the anode and a negative voltage to the cathode, the diode allows current to flow. However, if the voltage polarity is reversed, the diode blocks the flow of current.

2. What are the different types of diodes and their applications?

There are several types of diodes, including rectifier diodes, Zener diodes, light-emitting diodes (LEDs), and Schottky diodes. Rectifier diodes are used for converting AC to DC current, Zener diodes are used for voltage regulation, LEDs are used for lighting and displays, and Schottky diodes are used in high-frequency circuits.

3. How do I read a diode's specifications?

A diode's specifications include its maximum forward voltage, maximum reverse voltage, and maximum current rating. The maximum forward voltage is the highest voltage that can be applied to the diode without damaging it. The maximum reverse voltage is the highest voltage that can be applied in the opposite direction without causing the diode to break down. The maximum current rating is the maximum amount of current that the diode can safely handle.

4. Can a diode be used to amplify a signal?

No, a diode cannot be used to amplify a signal. Diodes are designed to allow current to flow in only one direction, so they cannot increase the strength of a signal. However, they can be used in combination with other components, such as transistors, to create an amplification circuit.

5. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

The purpose of a diode in a circuit depends on the type of diode and the specific circuit design. In general, diodes are used to control the direction of current flow, protect components from reverse voltage, and convert AC to DC current. They are also used in various applications such as voltage regulation, signal detection, and power supply protection.